Question for Christchurch people

menagerie

Ive lost a few fish (and a couple of frogs) in the last month after doing water changes on the tanks - Just wondering if anyone else in ChCh has had problems after water changes since the earthquakes? I read somewhere that extra chemicals are being put in the water since then and if this could be the problem. :nilly:

The only chemicals I could see them adding would be chlorine if bacteria had been found or repairs had been carried out, or sodium hydroxide if the pH needed to be corrected. Tha latter is not normal and it is actually extremely difficult to properly chlorinate water reticulation after carrying out repairs. Chlorine may have been added in areas where damage was caused to the reticulation but I think it unlikely of late and can be overcome with commercial additives at waterchange time.

no problems in woolston. you may need to add details of your tank size, fish an filter size, also how do you do your water changes? an are you cleaning filter at the same time? do you add any chemicals to your tank? other things would be new rocks or wood that wasnt cleaned ?

your not cleaning your filter under the tap by chance? you should only need to clean a filter every 2-4weeks(or more if its external) an should only be a quick splash to loosen any stuck debris, not a full clean as you want the bacteria to be left on it.

I had a friend who lost almost all his fish cleaning his filter under hot tap water... after i repeatedly told him not to do it :an!gry

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in an update! :oops:

I clean my tanks once every three weeks or so for the fish (a 3ft tank and a 2ft tank) and the frogs get cleaned out at least every week (2ft tank with their rocks getting washed off more often when they poop on them)

I don't clean the filters on the fish tanks every time i do a water change and the frog tank doesn't have a filter. No extra chemicals are added by me and no new plants or rock etc have been added to any of the three tanks. The only common factor I could think of was the water. I don't even use the same bucket to transfer the water between the fish tanks and the frog tank.

The good news is I have done other water changes since my first post and haven't had anymore problems.

I done a water change on all tanks last week. All the big tanks went well but I lost about 12 furcata rainbow fry from there small tank over night. I changed about 30-40% of the tank water in there tank as it is so small. The larger tanks got more water but would be less of a % change. I don't smell or taste any change in our water and just put my loss down to being reckless with cold water and fragile little fish. I live in Sydenham.

Sorry for the delay in an update! :oops:

I clean my tanks once every three weeks or so for the fish (a 3ft tank and a 2ft tank) and the frogs get cleaned out at least every week (2ft tank with their rocks getting washed off more often when they poop on them)

I don't clean the filters on the fish tanks every time i do a water change and the frog tank doesn't have a filter. No extra chemicals are added by me and no new plants or rock etc have been added to any of the three tanks. The only common factor I could think of was the water. I don't even use the same bucket to transfer the water between the fish tanks and the frog tank.

The good news is I have done other water changes since my first post and haven't had anymore problems.

good to see you got it sorted, id put a filter in frog tank if you have any decent amount of water... ive kept frogs before an they are really dirty buggers! I told my brother the same thing but he ignored me after repeated attempts to get him to sort his tank out, now all his frogs are dead an he still argues they dont need a filter >.<