Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

Aquarium World

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

One of my discus...

Featured Replies

...keeps pushing the other one in the side with its nose. They have been shadowing each other ever since i got them about 6 months ago and are great together, but I have only noticed one of them "nosing the other one in its side" now. Does anyone know what this means...if anything?

Pregnant. I would do some research asap about how to look after them if you intend to keep.

I am sure somebody will come along soon and help out.

Egg layers can't possibly get pregnant. :P

It is either aggression, or courtship behaviour. Time will tell but if they shiver at each other it's courtship.

  • Author

Thanks Bishop. That is a surprise as they are not full grown fish but of course I do not know how old they are. Do you know when it is likely that the eggs will be laid?

@ Phoenix: I thought about changing it but then thought it would make somebody feel good correcting me.

@ Carol: No I don't but there will be heaps of information on the net.

  • Author

Hi again Phoenix, I don't feel good about this but I must correct your spelling... it should be thinking "too" much not to much. Sorry but it is driving me mad looking at it!!

@ Phoenix: I thought about changing it but then thought it would make somebody feel good correcting me.

:D:wink:

Carol - youtube some videos on courting behaviour and see if the behaviour you are seeing is the same.

Hi again Phoenix, I don't feel good about this but I must correct your spelling... it should be thinking "too" much not to much. Sorry but it is driving me mad looking at it!!

I don't want to correct you either, but that's not me :lol:

  • Author

oh dear me...thanks Phoenix apologies. Bishop that above spelling message was for you. I think now I better have a good strong cup of tea...or something and sign off.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi again Phoenix, I don't feel good about this but I must correct your spelling... it should be thinking "too" much not to much. Sorry but it is driving me mad looking at it!!

I can only assume you are talking to me since we are all in the mood of correcting each other, otherwise your sentence structure is all wrong.

And yes I do realise, nothing to apologise about. It should also have a coma. :facepalm:

If it looks like an aggressive behavior?, its quite possible that it is a male,the other discus could be a female not ready to spawn

I have a pair with a very aggressive male that acts like this and at times I need to use a divider or else he can really beat her up

Really depends on how vigorous the 'nosing' is. If the 'aggressor' is biting the other fish then I would definitely says that is aggression, and not courtship related. If it is a gentle nudge, then it is likely there is some affection going on.

In the spirit of correcting all and sundry - Bishop, 'comma' does not have one 'm', it has two. 'Coma' is a type of condition usually associated with a patient in hospital that is alive but unresponsive, similiar to someone on Sunday after a big night on Saturday! :D :lol: :lol:

Read that sentence very carefully you might find some humour in it. If I have to explain it to you then I think maybe you missed the boat. A bit too hasty there.

I wonder if an excessive use of smilies will cover the fact that I am being a ..... :lol: :lol: 8) :o:):( :nilly:

Correcting somebody's grammar in public domain is actually quite childish. Regardless of the emotional gains you get from it, trying to show you are an adult in a childish way does not make you an adult.

My point I was hinting at previously, was that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I happen to think basic bad spelling in public domain is lazy but we all make mistakes. I am quite happy to admit mine and have a laugh about it rather than point at everybody else's.

Probably shouldn't read any of my posts if bad grammar gets on your nerves. A shame as I came here to learn about fish and I am sure you had a lot to offer.

@caroldaisy3, I am sorry for the state of your thread, I hope you find a conclusion about your discus.

For anybody still reading, is there a name for the female who is about to lay eggs,

As you have had them for 6mths would indicate that they are atleast 9mths old, as most breeders will not sell them under 3mths old. This means that they are definatly old enough to start breeding. Nudging and shaking at each other is sign of breeding behaviour. If it is aggression them one fish will be chasing the other one arround the tank, and the one getting chased will tend to cower in the corners.

Read that sentence very carefully you might find some humour in it. If I have to explain it to you then I think maybe you missed the boat. A bit too hasty there.

I wonder if an excessive use of smilies will cover the fact that I am being a .edited :lol: :lol: 8) :o:):( :nilly:

Correcting somebody's grammar in public domain is actually quite childish. Regardless of the emotional gains you get from it, trying to show you are an adult in a childish way does not make you an adult.

My point I was hinting at previously, was that people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

I happen to think basic bad spelling in public domain is lazy but we all make mistakes. I am quite happy to admit mine and have a laugh about it rather than point at everybody else's.

Probably shouldn't read any of my posts if bad grammar gets on your nerves. A shame as I came here to learn about fish and I am sure you had a lot to offer.

@caroldaisy3, I am sorry for the state of your thread, I hope you find a conclusion about your discus.

For anybody still reading, is there a name for the female who is about to lay eggs, edited.

It is a shame that you were unable to take the post in the good humour in which it was intended. Smilies are a way of making it clear to the reader that the preceding sentence or paragraph was meant in jest. If one must add a disclaimer at the end of each light-hearted dig, along the lines of 'please note the preceding words are intended to be received in a manner that provides mirth to the reader, and no offence is intended whatsoever', then we are taking ourselves too seriously and need to have some fun.

Also, I didn't think that abusive and foul words, such as the two you have used, were allowed on this forum, no matter how jumbled the letters are (or not in the case of the word sixth from the end), especially when the first word is aimed at another member?

Edit: My apologies if anyone was offended by me quoting the very words I was complaining about, from Bishops post. I had a bit of a blonde moment, and being blonde I have a few of those! :D

What a shame that this thread has turned out in such a way.

For starters the "word" I used was directed at me.

I did not take your post in humour as you say it was intended, But I am not an idiot so I do ask that you do not assume I am such.

To make a statement and then explain it as though the intended viewer is a child is insulting regardless of how much you refuse to take ownership of that fact and mask it as "Fun".

You are quite correct about my use of words and I do appologise to everybody who took offence.

However the use of the second word I used was pure mistake. As I had said I came here to learn and actually wanted to know what the name was. I do know what google is, so tried the research myself.

The only result I could find was actually the use of that word, seen here...

funtrivia.com/askft/Question29489.html

It also states that it is not the actual answer as I did, hence wanting to know what the actual answer is.

Shall we put that down to a blonde moment? I too seem to have many of those. :nilly: :nilly: :nilly:

Thank you to blueether for the answer.

I believe a mod should remove all of the nonsense of this thread so Carol can have her thread back?

@ Fishplants: I am quite happy to debate the use of psychology on internet forums with you further but I feel we should do it PM?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.