I need to become an expert on Apisto. viejita. Help please?

Joe

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As all above with regards to glass. 10mm normal is going to make a great tank.

I was pleasantly surprised to see some of these fish today in Lower Hutt. They are lovely looking fish.

Sadly no females which is probably good because I would have definitely bought them if I could have made a pair. 2 or 3 of the larger males in particular were extremely nice fish.

Fingers crossed that someone can find a female and get a pair.

IMO they are macmasteri (wide irregular lateral band, squared off tail and tall elongated caudal spot)

I've been thinking, should I maybe just get 8mm thick glass? (I don't want to go any lower than this though)

I got a reply from Greg, and he said that the tank with 10mm glass would cost $160!!! :happy1:

But shipping would cost more than the tank itself...

Yes it has to be 75x55x52cm. It has to be that size to fit this particular table that I am using for the stand. If it was longer it would overhang. And any shorter or smaller I would lose water volume. So bascially 75x55x52cm is as big as I can go to fit it on this table.

Nah I don't think it's the size. I just showed you Greg's price, which is fantastic :hail:

Yes it has to be 75x55x52cm. It has to be that size to fit this particular table that I am using for the stand. If it was longer it would overhang. And any shorter or smaller I would lose water volume. So bascially 75x55x52cm is as big as I can go to fit it on this table.

Nah I don't think it's the size. I just showed you Greg's price, which is fantastic :hail:

So to fit on the table it has to be less than 75cm long and roughly 50cm wide there should be plenty of tanks that will fit that bill :)

I hope its a solid table, I'd be somewhat hesitant about putting a 55cm tall tank on something that wasn't designed for it...

Yes it is a very solid and strong table. It's much better than a lot of fish tank stands on the market.

So to fit on the table it has to be less than 75cm long and roughly 50cm wide there should be plenty of tanks that will fit that bill :)

I want it as big as possible, and you cannot change my mind :) :lol:

They have arrived safely at Organism today, and are a definate pair from what I've been told :happy1:

Jennifer is shipping them to me this afternoon hopefully :) Otherwise they'll probably be shipped tomorrow :D

I still don't have this bloody tank :x Everywhere I look the prices are complete rip-offs, and there are still a couple of places that haven't got back to me. The only place that had really good prices was Greg, so I'll probably have to go with Caryl's idea:

Are you in a hurry Joe? Conference is in Tauranga this year (June) and Grant and I will be attending. I am sure many from Auckland will be driving down and could bring a tank with them. We could bring it back with us.

In the mean time if I want to try and breed them, I'll probably have to put a divider in my 150L or ask someone to look after my current fish for me. Will the Apistos breed happily in a community tank in a divided section?

They have arrived safely at Organism today, and are a definate pair from what I've been told :happy1:

I don't know why they told you they were a definite pair. I picked out these fish as Jen has had a busy day. I got what I believe to be a male and female for each of you. Don't get your hopes up or blame anyone if you end up with two of the same sex.

I don't know why they told you they were a definite pair.

Sorry wrong wording :oops: I mean that from what I was told it sounds like I will get definate pair :)

Thanks for picking out my fish for me :hail: Could you quickly get some pics please and post them on here before I get the fish? :P

Yea was worried, however the two 'females' were displaying to each other in the tank, and the dark lines on the pelvics showing up really well, and the yellow hue too. We can only cross fingers from here.

Awesome! I really hope they are females :bounce:

Are you getting a pair for yourself Antwan?

Hi Joe, there was probably something lost in translation as we have not directly spoken to you. As has already been said these guys are pretty hard to sex. And we were just confirming that a pair had been put aside for you, not a male female pair specifically. In saying that we made a best guess as to a male/female. Hopefully that turns out to be the case. Kind Regards John

In the mean time if I want to try and breed them, I'll probably have to put a divider in my 150L or ask someone to look after my current fish for me. Will the Apistos breed happily in a community tank in a divided section?

I have my cockatoos breeding in my community tank. They're fine - the other fish learn pretty quickly to get the hell out of the females way when she's guarding her fry and you can always tell where the female is as it's the other end of the tank from all the other fish :)

I think she sorted out my slight overcrowding issue by culling a few pandas in the beginning but now they've all learnt the rules there aren't any more battles.

Cant wait to see these in someones tank all settled in. The ones I saw were very nice but in the shop tanks they never look quite as good as they do when they get settled in at home.

Best of luck to all those who got them. Fingers crossed for pairs for both of you.

I phoned Organism this morning and bought another two fish :facepalm: :lol:

Haha that's $180 for all four :o You guys must think I'm insane :lol: I'm seriously addicted to Apistos :love:

Apparently one looked quite like a female, and so I got a male to go with it incase it is a female. So hopefully I'll have two pairs now. But only time will tell...

i have got 4. :happy1: now its the matter of who will breed them first. lol. :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

two of my double red pairs just did the job this avo, :bounce: the other two will do it in any min. hopefully this yr will be my chiclid and live br yr. :nilly: