Road bikes?

dreams

What sort of clips do the pedals take?

Can you get road bike shoes with the recessed cleats, because if you can, get those! - I have unfond memories of doing the splits at an intersection when putting my foot down to balance, because plastic and metal clips give you no purchase on tarseal :oops:

OUCH :tears:

• 4 weeks later...

My awesome red cannondale that I just brought is no more :cry: I've had my first road accident on 12th February where a driver fully kicked opened his door with me going at speed right behind his car.

I managed to brake, swerve and avoided a direct hit, but the back left seat stay tube clipped his door and was ripped right off, resulting in me sliding onto my right side in the middle of the road. Thankfully I managed to escape with only a scrapped elbow and sore shoulder, but the bike is no longer usable.

The driver said sorry and got me a plaster and a cup of water from his house, but as soon as I said that he was gonna have to pay for my bike, he panicked and drove off without giving me his details :dunno: . But at least I knew where he lived. After visiting the police station and confirming who was in the wrong, I was told to pretty much go and deal with it by myself. So armed with my trusty 4th year law girlfriend, we managed to write up a convincing letter and dropped it off at his house.

Now after two meetings and numerous phone calls, we've managed to settle the incident with him paying for my bike. I've now brought a cheaper steel bike and continuing with road riding, but now I'm ALOT more wary of parked cars and slow down when I get near them :roll:

I walk, or bike, everywhere. Opening car doors are the biggest hazard as far as I am concerned and I always watch all parked cars as I approach.

Yeap, I'm very wary of people in parked cars these days. I'm now testing riding a bit further away from cars when theres not much traffic behind me.

Very lucky Dreams! Somebody opening their door is how that lady was killed in mission bay awhile back.

Sucks about the downgrade and the cops not doing anything.

I think I was extremely lucky this time! The car that was behind me slowed down when it happened and pulled over to give me his details.

Dealing with the cops was very unsatisfactory. I called the cops when the driver drove off and they asked for all the details; Where, when, how etc. and then told me to go into a station to report it in person. My dad and I then went to 2 stations which were both closed cause it was a weekend. Then went to a larger station which was open, but had like 1 officer at the desk :-? Once there, I told him that I already made a report on the phone earlier, but he told me he couldn't find it on the system..so spent the next 30 mins - 40mins explaining everything again while he slowly typed it in and asked a lady in the back for some advice. Once that was done, he then continued to explain that they couldn't really do anything, except "maybe" charge him for an offence and that I should be more wary when I'm around cars in the future. He also said that since the driver did not leave any details with me such as his name and phone number, I had no real way of proving that he was the one that caused the incident! Even though I had the car registration number, he said the car could belong to someone else which is a fair point. I then pointed out that I had a witness, but he then said that the witness couldn't prove anything either?! :roll: Finally he told me to go talk to the guy and see if I could get some money off him..and thats it. They never did end up charging the guy (I'm ok with this though, as the driver paid me back) and as far as I know, they never went to talk to him.