Reusing carbon

Black Sabbath

I don't *think* it does any harm to leave it in, I know of people who've had filters that came prestocked with it (think Aquaone tanks) who haven't changed it for very long periods with no obvious ill effects... But it won't be helping anyway, better to scrap it and put in a better media.

I don't like the idea of leaving it in there, I do have some magicjet filters that are mainly just for flow and an addition to the bubble filters in my 200litre tanks used for breeding swords, guppies and holding the female bettas and barbs for conditioning. I removed the carbon area and until recently had nothing there but since have added ceramic noodles to go with the sponges wit, Also another wee filter I have had built in plastic cartridges until I removed them and they are the perfect size for 3 noodles to sit on each side. Like said above why not replace them with better media than adopt the "better than nothing" attitude, especially when there is a risk it could cause harm but releasing chemicals back into the water