frogs... how much is too much?? plus home made fly traps.

beckyboo

just wondering how much food is too much for my frogs.

so far this is my first successful attempt at keeping frogs. started with 4 golden bell taddies and now have 4 golden bell frogs. they morphed about 3 weeks before xmas.

at the moment they are happy to eat slaters, fruit fly sort of things, worms, and mozzies (mozzies are larvae in the tank and get eaten once they hatch). im currently feeding 5 fruit fly things each plus approx 2 slaters/worms each a day and mozzies once hatched. i dont want to overfeed them and i dont want to starve them. also is there anything they cant eat?? any help appreciated.

also any tips on making a home made fly trap would be helpful too.

take a soft drink bottle and cut the top off just before the neck starts, turn it upside down and place it in the remaining part of the bottle.

This is a picture off the net I presume its collected water over time, I keep mine dry so I have live flies to feed out instead of drowned ones.

Fly-trap.jpg

Easy and cheap, I used old fish bait and ox heart trimmings and left it in a warm part of the yard, within a couple of hours there were lots of flies. Tape can be used to seal it better but I found sprite bottles it was snug enough.

i keep food available to young frogs atleast 5days a week, should be 7 really but they dont need it.

adults fed about 3times a week or every other day.

too much is when they look fat i suppose, but they eat like machines so your doing well if theyre.. flies are good for a bit of exercise but wont make them grow like crickets and locusts will. theyre the best feeders you can get imo.

traps are last millennium :lol:

That one looks like a wasp trap, Nymox - we used to make ours like that and put beer in the bottom...

I had one fly into my can of beer one day, skulling it back and I felt a lumpy bit, within a few minutes my throat felt like it was on fire. Please dont get any more wasps hooked on beer :roll: And if you have to make it Tui, no one likes that rubbish, swamp water probably tastes better :sick:

I had one fly into my can of beer one day, skulling it back and I felt a lumpy bit, within a few minutes my throat felt like it was on fire. Please dont get any more wasps hooked on beer :roll: And if you have to make it Tui, no one likes that rubbish, swamp water probably tastes better :sick:

Crikey....why does everyone hate Tui so much.....Mangatanoka is my old stomping ground, I grew up on the stuff and still love it!