ZEOVIT

jetskisteve

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

zeobac

i know its a gradual dosing system, but do you ever stop? I mean I really do understand equalibrium and evenually the little bits of bac you are adding would logically do no good as you would already have an established colony of the stuff....

Peter

It does stop. after a couple of weeks of adding new zeolite. There is a recommendation in the new guide for dosing less frequently after this period.

In all reality a one off dose is all that is needed to seed the tank. Because of the nature and speed that bacteria reproduce, adding a small amount daily will have little influence on final populations. And ultimately the tank conditions determine the populations size and growth.

Peter, Funny Post :lol:

On the zeobac thing, dosing is continuous. When starting, it is dosed daily, and this is reduced after time. In a few months when nutrients are very low, dosing can be reduced considerably, but cannot be stopped altogether. If it is, browning of the corals may occur.

The amount to be dosed can be gauged in part by the appearance of the corals.

That is based on the manufacturers directions.

Some on this board may think they have a better understanding of the zeovit system than the manufacturer does, but if it is someone who tried it and failed, I'd treat their advice with caution.

You think the manufacturer has an understanding of how the system works? If they did they wouldn't be selling a product with the following warnings. Nor would they be changing the recommended dosages every few weeks.

zeovit

High water flow through the media in already stocked tanks especially during the start up of this system has shown to cause slow tissue loss in SPS corals."

excessive amounts of ZEOvit could have a negative effect of SPS corals and lead to tissue necrosis and therefore coral death.

zeobak

Our experience has shown that constant excessive overdosing can lead to tissue loss from the base especially in weak corals and corals that are already damaged. Over dosage in a nutrient poor environment leads to a darkening of the coral tissue.

zeostart

... loss of coral tissue from the tips, or a slow progressing tissue loss from the base ... as well as a complete loss of all tissue in certain corals during your tanks dark period. Another indicator is the fast tissue loss of an entire coral branch over a short period of time.

Best I can tell, your problem seems to be that the manufacturer has given specific warnings as to the consequences of overdosing, as per your previous post.

Don't see how this equals the manufacturer does not understand his own product.

To me, warning about overdosing is what any responsible manufacturer of a quality product would do.

However, if you believe you understand the product better than the manufacturer, I will not argue with you. No point.

However, if you believe you understand the product better than the manufacturer

Luckily I have never said that.

Also, these warnings were not around 2 years ago, and the dosing recommendations were higher. Which leads me to believe that the manufacturer does not know what is going on with his own product, because clearly "overdosing" happens when used as directed.

The manufacturer can not determine how much overdosing actually is (I presume due to lack of knowledge on how the system works), and uses the fact that corals receding and bleaching as an indicator to overdosing. Then refining the dosing scheme based on this experience.

Then the question is, what causes this sudden loss of tissue. The explanation they provide is rubbish.

Layton

Luckily I have never said that.

Layton

Quite frankly Thomas Pohl is the last person you should have blind trust in. His livelihood depends on his product.

I on the other hand have no financial interest in the product either way.

Layton

Which leads me to believe that the manufacturer does not know what is going on with his own product,

Layton

We seem to have a contradiction here. You apparently believe you know more than Thomas Pohl because he is a professional who derives his living from coral farming and selling zeovit, whereas you derive no income from farming corals or selling zeovit.

I think that Thomas Pohl in fact knows more than you for precisely the same reasons.

In fact, to be a little blunt, I really do not think it is worth wasting further bandwidth arguing who knows more, you or Thomas Pohl.