450L tank in apartment building - weight issues?

matthewY

I'm looking for any advice or more importantly if I should have concerns around putting a 450L tank in a high rise apartment building.

The tank is 150cm length x 50cm wide. Assuming tank with water mostly filled, rocks etc would be aroudn the 550KG mark?

I plan to check what is underneath the floor over the next few days but from what I can tell, its carpet over some particle board thing which I am assuming is over concrete (The building is concrete and has 3 storys of carpark on concrete slabs so assuming that follows through to the top???)

Apartment building is about 15 years old, 8 storys tall and im somewhere in the middle of the building (both building height and length wise).

I'm sure i've seen worst things done but i'm still somewhat concerned and unsure if my concerns are justified or an over reaction?

Thanks

Matt

any apartment building that cant support 550kg shoudl not be lived in.

in fact, get 8 people to stand over in a little corner, if thats fine, then a tank is fine.

I would say, most if not all apartment buildings that are made of concrete can support even a 2000 litre tank.

If it collapses and falls through, thats not your fault.

the building insurance should pay for it :D

unless your agreement states no heavy tanks

any apartment building that cant support 550kg shoudl not be lived in.

in fact, get 8 people to stand over in a little corner, if thats fine, then a tank is fine.

I would say, most if not all apartment buildings that are made of concrete can support even a 2000 litre tank.

If it collapses and falls through, thats not your fault.

the building insurance should pay for it :D

unless your agreement states no heavy tanks

Agreed, I mean put a heavy bookshelf in the corner and stack 1000 books on it and I'm sure it would weigh the same, Would you think twice about doing this?

It's likely the tank will be closer to 1000kg. All the weight adds up pretty quickly and gravel is very heavy.

Even so, given it's length it should be fine. My only concern would be securing the tank so it doesn't move. High-rise buildings move much more up high than at ground level so they amplify the movement of earthquakes. I'd make sure the stand is well secured to the building and the tank is well secured to the stand.

You don't get earthquakes - neither does Christchurch...

Ah, feel so much better about that now.

if it cracks from earthquake, insurance should cover it, aslong as I have a earthquake to blame :-)

Its not going to the corner of the apartment but would be somewhat centered accross one of the walls. Sound like from the above posts that it shouldnt make a difference .

Highrise is 8 stories so not huge by any means (esp compared to the soho apartments) but still huge enough for me to not want to look down.

Thanks guys, puts my mind at rest.

i remember helping builders renovate the 7th floor of the rutherford hotel in nelson i got put in charge of making the sure the gib board was evenly spaced out around the floor . if we had of put it all in the one room it would have collasped but even so we were putting a couple of tons in each room and we would of had plenty of leeway with that

Sounds good. think i'm just going to go with it. If I make a "big" 3d background with caves and all that then that could mean less water / less real rocks and therefore less weight.

you migth be able to help with this. Is it genally accepted that all "tallish" (8 floors) apartment buildings are made with steal and concrete? The floor seems to be particle board but I have no clue whats underneath it. Would hate to think that it could be just wood joists between floors...???