HELP!!!!!! FISH BREATHING REAL FAST and dieing

dragonz1833

If its only just happened I would expect an ammonia spike (often happens in the evenings more than during the day). Test the water this morning, test the water late this evening. Water changes and an airline will help if its this otherwise as Alanmin says it could be gill flukes.

If its only just happened I would expect an ammonia spike (often happens in the evenings more than during the day). Test the water this morning, test the water late this evening. Water changes and an airline will help if its this otherwise as Alanmin says it could be gill flukes.

Interested to know why you say ammonia spikes happen more often in the evening? I thought Ammonia has to build up, bacteria need time to break solid waste down into ammonia, and fish continually excrete it. Also not sure how an air line helps with ammonia, I understand it might put a little more O2 in the water, but the problem the fish not being able to use it because of burnt gills, and being unable to excrete there own ammonia, not lack of O2.

If ammonia is the suspected issue, the best course of action is either cycle or ammo lock (or a similar product), both will covert the ammonia to non toxic ammonium. The next best option is water changes.

Most good LFS's will test your water for you, often for free, at the moment your playing a guessing game, If you have some cycle etc dump it in cause it can't hurt, and get your water tested.

Also not sure how an air line helps with ammonia, I understand it might put a little more O2 in the water, but the problem the fish not being able to use it because of burnt gills, and being unable to excrete there own ammonia, not lack of O2.

With any respiratory distress, regardless of the cause, O2 (oxygen) is an important supportive treatment. In this case, the burned gills will be less efficient from overproduction of protective mucous so the surface area for gas exchange is minimised, thus you want water with a higher percentage of oxygen to be flowing over the available surfaces in the gills so that the fish can get enough oxygen.

Lowering excess CO2 with water movement is pretty well known, but I haven't heard of removing ammonia this way before, do you have any information on how this works?

Here's a link to some simple information about ammonia

http://theaquariumwiki.com/Ammonia

And information on ammo lock

http://cms.marsfishcare.com/files/scien ... .1.081.pdf

Both ammonia and carbon dioxide behave in a similar way in water. CO2 dissolves to form a relatively unstable acid--carbonic acid and ammonia dissolves to form a relatively unstable alkali--ammonium hydroxide. They will both revert to the gasseous state relavely easily with a rise in temperature, agitation or allowing oxygen to take their place. This will not replace all the gas that is dissolved but will reduce it in both cases.

The problem with the use of ammolock is that it locks up the ammonia and therefore destroys the equilibrium between the good bacteria and their food source, so that as the bacteria die off from a lack of food an ammonia spike is likely later when the bacteria have all died or been reduced but the fish are still producing ammonia/urea etc.

Ammo lock doesn't 'lock' ammonia, just changes the balance so there is more non-toxic ionized ammonium (NH4) which still produces a reading on most test kits and can still be utilized by bacteria as a food source just as ammonia would. If this wasn't the case then fish keepers that use products like Cycle would never cycle their filters.

Ammonia and carbon dioxide may behave in a similar fashion, but how readily this happens is relevant, if ammonia 'de-gassed' as readily as CO2 then household cleaners would have a very short shelf life and I assume be pretty dangerous to keep in a cupboard. It's like how quickly a bottle of opened coke will go flat compared to how quickly a bottle of window cleaner will loose it's strength

A bottle of coke with a lid on will not degass any differently to a bottle of ammonium hydroxide with a lid on.

I have never used ammolock and am not sure how it works so you may well be right about the nitrogen still being available for the bacteria. It is likely that they utilize it in the ionic state only.

Coke once opened will go flat in a few days, or at least with-in a few weeks. Windows cleaner will last years with out loosing strength.

Also oxygen and carbon dioxide reach a saturation level where you just can't add it faster than it will de-gas, because ammonia doesn't de-gas anywhere near as fast the levels keep building, if they didn't then it wouldn't ever be a problem in fish tanks

Coke has the CO2 added under pressure but the ammonium hydroxide (in whatever form) does not. When you smell ammonium hydroxide it is the ammonia dissolving in the moisture in your nose and forming ammonium hydroxide that you are detecting therefore it must be evapourating from the solution.