'Black Whiptails' vs. Lancelota

phoenix44

51noM-sbZ0L._SS500_.jpg

This is H. Lanceolata photo by I. seidel, The true Black tail whiptail is Hemiloricaria Nigricauda which your fish clearly are'nt. After looking through the above whiptail book it appears there are two sp within the name and a handfull of variants which both your whips can fall in.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Pics 1 and 2 are Hemiloricaria Lanceolate, the whip pic 3 on the right is Rineloricaria Parva or simillar (common Whiptail). Lucky you beat me to those Lanceolate :wink:

Pic 3 on the right is rineloricaria lanceolata. Def not parva.

rineloricaria lanceolata that I have are the same ones I get eggs from all the time. posted a thread a while on PP too.

I'm confused - there is a Hemiloricaria lanceolata, and a Rineloricaria lanceolata as well, and they are both Whiptails, with a different genus name, but the same species name (lanceolata)?

Rineloricaria lanceolata ...........Thats the New latin name..Old going back years ago also was Ancistrus.spp That took in all in the family....So many name changes as they regroup fish..

They came wild fish from the Amazon via Peru..The name as thrown around all of NZ as R Lanceolata

My research shows them to be bigger so i have always follow peru name as R...Black as beleive they were a new find in the wild...

Think MAF to have followed that name...

They are due to breed and time again and just 2 young left at about 3 cm....

Cheers Phill Collis

Incorrect!......... Rineloricaria Lanceolata is no more, it is in fact Hemiloricaria Lanceolata formerly misplaced/called Rineloricaria.

Rineloricaria Genus, contained species:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=43

Hemiloricaria Genus, cotained species:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/genus.php?genus_id=405#1745

Hi

Just because someone again changes name and planetcatfish show listings...If in deed are registered as this....Forget it as MAF here will not accept the new name till changes are made to the permitted list...

Could be years ago going by the past..

But as you saw the Peru was listed as that...Not lancelota and thats what this is really all about..

In fact i have 18 Pairs and have breed about 200 and are all over nz and if breeding secrets are not know then ..Well a long time to catch on...Cheers And good fish keeping...Enough about this any way...Phill

Actually ill teach you something...If you had bothered to look at where the listing on planetcatfish came from you will find that he listed them under the latin family of...Take note............Loricariidae...........You can change sub names all you like but note the true latin family.............I have been in fish for over 45 years and most of the new additions on the MAF list came from me after about 90 hours of work with no thanks.......

What i also want to know is why ever time i give a view it turns into world war three..........I was the importer remember ...........Why do you think i dont bother listing here for sale as to my problems............P