White Spot

whitesandals

Hi one of my bristlenose has white spot, and the temperature is already at 30C as thats the normal temperature for my discus. I had to add all my fishes from my old tank as a temporary fix as my other tank had to be set up for my breeding pair and their frys. I thkk the whitespot suddenly occured due to the overcrowding &c:ry

So now in my 220L tank there is:

5 discus

10 electric rams

3 clown loaches

1 red whiptail

How should I dose with Wunder White Spot Cure? And any advice on curing?

Sounds like you are on the right track. The high temperature will help limit the parasite from reproducing. Many people also find that salt helps. Use the treatment according to the directions. It should be effective. It might take a while before you solve the entire problem. In the mean time, vacuum the substrate regularly as this will remove some of the free swimming parasites. You can also minimise feeding so that you don't add to any additional stress that could result from fish waste products (if you have ammonia spikes from waste, this will just stress the fish more).

I would follow the directions on the bottle for the first few days. If you have to do water changes to keep water quality up (i.e. if you have ammonia/cycling problems) then just add enough extra medication to treat the volume of water you are adding. For example, treat the entire tank according to directions. If you remove 20 litres in a water change, then add an additional 20 drops (1ml) of medication to treat the new water you are adding.

Should i remove the infected Bistlenose thought? And just quarantine the pleco to avoid spreeding? Or it's not necessary? Also, should i remove my discus from the tank? I am worried about the discus getting infected. I've moved 3 to someone tank yesterday and moved my choc pleco to my mates. Would they get the infection? Or would it be safer to remove the discus to avoid the infection to the discus?

Yes, they could spread the infection. With the stress of moving, that could make it all pop out, if the temp is quite cool, it may not show up for some time.

You can remove the infected bristlenose, and that may help minimise the parasites that eventually come from its body but even still there will still be parasites in the tank with the discus. Keep the temp up, increase aeration, keep up with the medicating and it will eventually run its course.

But to be even safer. Should i remove my discus from that tank. because. I don't see any white spots on any of my discus or other fishes. Just my bistlenose? As what I have mentioned before, I've given 3 discus from the infected tank to one of my friend without knowing that my bistlenose was infected, also gave my 2 choc pleco to another one of my mates from the same tank. But they said when they were Acclimatizing the discus & the pleco there was no white spots on them. They also show no sign of this disease. And they looked fine. So if i removed the discus, wouldn't that minimize the threat to the discus? And remove all the non infected fish from the tank to another tank to be safe?

This article should be considered compulsory reading on whitespot: http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/docs/health/ich.shtml

There are a lot of myths about it that can make it much harder for people to properly eradicate it, this article holds nothing back in exploding the myths.

Removing apparently non-infected fish from a heavily infected tank *may* reduce the chances of infection, BUT they need to be treated for the parasite. It is invisible when it first latches on, and it can be hiding in the gills.

Yes, they can spread between tanks, make sure you don't use the same equipment in infected and non-infected tanks. Your wet hands are considered 'equipment' ;) Your friend should treat to be on the safe side. (This emphasises the importance of quarantining EVERYTHING, even apparently healthy fish from your friends)

Certain fish are more susceptible to infection, particularly scaleless fish and bottom dwellers.

The critical thing with whitespot is to continue to treat after all the spots have fallen off.