setup recomendation for a new 6' tank

AquaLife

I've got myself a new 6 footer tank. Any recomendation for multiple species, plants with driftwood, rocks or corals. I'm thinking of monster fishes but open to any idea. :)

Would it look beter at the center of the room or against the wall. I've yet to build the stand thou. :)

depends what you want.

Keeping monsters generally means not having a visually appealing aquascape, and not much colour. But they are cool. :P

Not true; totally depends on what monster fish you do and how you set it up :wink:

Go for bichirs, large cichlids, knifefish etc. arowana IMO need a slightly larger tank to be comfortable especially silvers and blacks.

the dimensions, depth & height are very important for keeping monsters. if it is less that 6x3x3 then i would rule out arowanas.

a 6 footer would make a very nice lake tanganyikan tank, tropheus duboisi & another like pemba or moliro and keep some shellies, leleupi, brichardi & alto comps possibly. i have found they are a little easier on any plants than lake malawi species & java fern, valisaneria & ludwigia are doing well in my tank.

African (Malawis, Tangs)

African river (planted, with a large shoal of Hemigrammopetersius caudalis and some Pelvicahromis taeniatus)

Amazon

Reef (if you can afford it)

Asian Blackwater

ADA

Iwagumi

Personally I think monster fish are very boring, because I've seen them before and they don't really do much. They're just very BIG. And I don't really know of any monster fish that have lovely colours. They all seem to be silver or muddy brown or grey.

I would go for the Africans or a large shoal of colourful fish like Paracheirodon axelrodi, Hemigammopetersius caudalis or Trigonopoma pauciperforata and a few softwater cichlids and some fancy catfish.

If you can afford it though I think a reef tank would be spectacular, with some Dwarf Angelfish and lots of small colourful Wrasses, Damselfishes and Cardinalfish.

Great, everyone has a valid point on choice of fishes. Initially planed for arowana but my wife like Chiclids.

Will Ikola, BuluPoint, Electric Yellow, Frontosa, Black Ghost Knife, Tiger Borneo(small), silver dollar and possibly arowana be compatible? Most are young adult atm. A mixture of everything, lol.

I wont be going into reef as I lack the experience and knowledge :).

Will Ikola, BuluPoint, Electric Yellow, Frontosa, Black Ghost Knife, Tiger Borneo(small), silver dollar and possibly arowana be compatible? Most are young adult atm. A mixture of everything, lol.

not at all, you could get away with the tropheus & e yellows together but they would need to be fed to suit the tropheus as they are very susceptible to bloating. the ikola & bulu points will also cross breed which is very bad.

the others will need different water parameters to the africans i assume but cannot comment exactly as i have not kept them. the aro will eat most of these fish when it gets bigger.

what are the dims of the tank exactly for height & depth?

True, didn't think about their different diet. As for water parameter, I assume they are adaptable to quite a reasonable range. Didn't taught the BuluPoint and Ikola'd cross breed :oops: . No I dont want that, lol. The tank size is 0.6 X0.7 X 1.8 (dpXwidthXlength). So that means no Arowana eh, mann ....... I love Arowana.

Thanks for the offer. I'm presently waiting for it to fully cured and also for the shop to open so I can get mat'l to get the stand welded. Will then cover it up with ply :). Yet to source or decide on the lightings. I'll definately want to see your fishes once I get the tank cycled. My wife loves the Africans :(. Am I losing touch? lol.

• 1 month later...
im looking at geeting a arrow tank

and will be 2foot h x 3 foot w is it going to look strange?

i thought it would look algirght lol

Erm, I think it will be alright? Just go in to your LFS and look at tanks as close to those dimensions as you can so you can see if it looks alright.

• 3 weeks later...