Tank underlay? what to use under the "big" tanks for safety

burrowssj

Hi all, merry xmas happy holidays an all that- I've got this huge 120cmX45X45 tank an Its on a nice bench thats just 1cm to short! I was thinking it would be best to put a slab of wood under it so it didn't "sink" into the cabinet an also so it had no overhang.

its a 300kg tank filled so I want it to be strong an hopefully with stand any earthquakes we have again(chch)

I was looking around the house an couldn't find any wood (dam) and was wondering if carpet underlay would be ok? the over hang is probably ok with it being on 5mm on each side but im worried the tank will sink an damage the antique cabinet I have...

What you reckon? will a 300kg tank be ok with a 5mm overhang an will carpet underlay be ok to stop it sinking into the wood?

Cheers Sam

I don't think I'd worry about it for a small tank like that if it's actually 5mm overhang. The thickness of the glass should be more than that. It wouldn't hurt just as a bit of extra insurance getting a piece of plywood made up to match the tank bottom, but it's not really necessary.

Also, the tank sinking into the wood is not an issue. Not unless it's made of soft balsa that you can crush with your fingers. The pressure over that area will be small. It's any high points concentrating pressure on the base and breaking it you need to worry about. Floor underlay may do the job, but the standard is a sheet of polystyrene foam.

That should be fine, no biggie with any tank especially a 4fter its not very big :) I would stick at least 10mm poly underneath and ditch the carpet, carpet wont be any good if there is a nail head or something slightly proud on the top, it also wont be much protection for the timber (not that poly would be much more protection either for that matter).

i would only be concerned about it being level or close to it & the base panel of the tank having good even support. if you achieve these then it won't fail, well out of level & not support around the edges (5mm overhang is fine) & you run the risk of it putting extra pressure in places & it cracking.

hmmmmm good point,90% of it will be ok there are a couple of things il move

its not gona stay exactly like that, just waiting for these shakes to stop, had like 10 in the last 24hrs, 1 big enough to slosh water onto ground an move a tank slightly

still gota add water an plants an re organise it to look cool

getting new external soon :D

my 150L with stood the 7.1 quake an only a couple rocks fell down, fish tend to goto surface when it shakes

it is a concern about the rocks but It should be fine with the thick glass :P

I filled the tank with 60L earlier an have found its out of level buy about a cm :S

its 178mm to waters edge on 1 side, and 195mm on the other

is that safe?

current estimate of weight would be about 100kgs

the cabinet is a pretty solid one weighs about 40kgs itself how ever the top of it was quite thin :/

starting to wonder if i'm going to have to build something for it...

Does the tank wobble on the box its sitting on?

Give the tank a good push where it meets the stand. If there's any movement at all from the force you can put on it then it may let go in an earthquake. There's also no rim around the top of the box so the tank can slide off - this would be my major concern.

that's a difference of 17mm, the lower side will get more pressure applied to it than the other. how much extra pressure i don't know but for my piece of mind i would want it less than that. my 2.0m tank is out of level by 3mm at one end & perfectly level front to back which i think is fine.