Guppy - Shredded tails

piggyvir

the tank has been running for a week with another 50 odd fish, rummy nose, cardinal, platties and a lot of guppies too

the tail just start disappearing from the top and only a few hairline like fin left at the end..

it only happens to the prettiest guppies - the albino and those with super fancy tails..

all of other guppies are fine..

is it pH issue? i bought them all from a single tank from Bird Barn and loaded them all into a single tank...

I isolated two of them into a small tank and both died this morning :( :( :(

Hi all - i have tested with the water and there's no nitrate nor ammonia !! I have tested it multiple times ! The filter is not new though.. i have been using that filter for a month already....

I have also gone to HFF and Bird Barn for water testing and both said there's no problem at all.

Joshlikesfish - that's why I kinda want to delay picking up the guppy :( :(

My dad said guppies like slightly more alkaline, like pH 8-ish

I have heard all sorts of things related to guppies and different water but at the end of the day it is a guppy and should thrive in any water but the very extreme. Sounds like your tank is cycled also. I would put it down to some sort of virus or bacterial infection, do tons of research and see what you can come up with :)

Never use furan?

It's an antibiotic; and is not all that strong. It has a nitrogenous compound in it that has been linked by some tests to cancer in mice at high doses. these doses are not what we treat fish at, and human exposure at those levels are quite well unfeasible. but by all means, use gloves if you have to, but without a prescription, it's all you can use.

Do not be afraid of it; just use it correctly, and like any other medication - handle it with care.

Thanks - the last infected fish RIP this morning and all of my guppies are looking fine at the moment..

it's just very, very weird !

Which is why I suggested guppy virus, it is possible all the fish that are surviving are carriers of it and immune so they are fine, the ones that aren't carriers or immune are dead.

Which is why I suggested guppy virus, it is possible all the fish that are surviving are carriers of it and immune so they are fine, the ones that aren't carriers or immune are dead.

if it's a virus I would be concerned about adding new guppies. That's one reason I always quarantine new livebearers for a MONTH. If I have any new fry I put a couple of them in with the newcomers to see of they catch anything. I give the tank a dose of salt at the same time .

The only time I didn't quarantine some nice new fancy guppies.. I had problems.. one died in two days and the other a few weeks later and then almost all my males died soon after and I had to start again.

i think it was columnaris

it's just really sad to see all the very fancy guppies died >.<

I have set up a 20L tank and that will be my quarantine tank until everything settled down...

how many guppies can I fit in a 20L tank, also, do i need a filter?? or can I get away with the sponge filter?