Can we get Red Tiger Lotus in NZ?

Joe

Awesome!

Does it need really bright lighting? I currently just have a couple of T8 tubes - an 18,000K AquaGlo and a 15,000K Aqua One Tropical tube. Would it be worth buying a couple of cheap Aqua One T5 tubes and some T5 fittings?

I keep all my plants in terracotta pots, filled with sphagnum peat moss and sand on top. I also use JBL balls too. Would this be sufficient for Red Lotus?

Also, how many different species/varieties of Red Tiger Lotus are availible, how big do they get, and what are their latin names?

I believe bright lighting is best as is for most plants, but i think you can grow it well with T8's.

They can get quite big if they're really healthy, otherwise you can keep them small by restricting the spread of their roots.

They mainly take in nutrients through their roots so JBL balls are perfect for them.

OK. So basically do they grow as big as normal Tiger Lotus?

Also, what is the latin name and how many species/varieties of Red lotus are there in NZ that are suitible for aquariums? Does the Red Tiger Lotus belong to the genus Nymphaea like the regular Tiger Lotus?

Rubra means red so are they not the same?

no there are two different types in nz. red tiger lotus flower is white and nymphaea rubra is pink

here a some links to show the difference

http://www.aquariumplantsandsupplies.co ... haea-rubra

http://www.pbase.com/shihyong/image/43354604

red tiger has strong mottling compared to rubra