Who makes their own tanks and where do you get the glass?

Joshlikesfish

i make my tanks with help from my grandad. and we get glass of the hardrubbish collection(sounds cheap but it works)

Make sure you never bring that in to me to cut!

Its like taking flower into the baker and asking them to bake your bread for you

Ok, I will cut the rubbish for people I know but glass companies sell glass so asking them to cut rubbish is real cheeky :evil:

Make sure you never bring that in to me to cut!

Its like taking flower into the baker and asking them to bake your bread for you

Ok, I will cut the rubbish for people I know but glass companies sell glass so asking them to cut rubbish is real cheeky :evil:

and dont worry barrie if i ever get you to make me a tank i would want nice glass for a show tank

yeah it is, but if you learn to cut it (not that hard) it can save you hundreds if your a breeder, but i prefer to get large tanks made professional :roll:

i got my large tank made by a glazier..to me its like managment building a house, its took the glazier nearly a month.. :lol: :lol:

i have to tell him what to do from start to end..

Belive me guy, not all glazier know how to build a big fish tank!

my glazier reckon to brace the tank he have to brace the bottom verticle..(glass pieces standing upward!) i ask him what about the fish? he said the fish will hop over it! :lol:

I was going to ask him about diftwood..but i didnt have to! :lol:

so guy make sure you ask some good guy in here were to get a good big tank made..

dont belive or trust what your mate said, espeacilly he is a glazier.. :lol:

dont do for the love,but do it for the love of your fish.. :lol:

there is a place i know were to get cheap glass, but sorry i could not give it out because glass shop with be very unhappy :lol:

Cheap is an interesting term

People tell me that they have a cheap place because they can get it for a discount. The best thing is to get prices

If you can cut your own glass then the rubbish collections are possibly good

A lot of people (Glass companies/Glaziers) dont make tanks so we can only use the standards and recomendations to make the tanks by. Those are over the top in most cases as we are looking at maximum strength, not what we can get by with. There are serious problems for us legally if we were to make them as weak as a lot of "tank makers" make them. Are their tanks strong enough? probably as you guys dont have too many problems but if we made them and a problem arose and someone was injured, we could be fined up to $500,000. Its simply not worth the risk for most.

As far as taking a while, unless your making them all the time and therefore set up for it, tanks get in the way and there are far more profitable areas to put food on the table.

Anyone thats been to my factory knows that I simply have no room and the only area to store tanks are where the trucks drive in to load and off load

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Age is never known on free glass..It can actually fail.....Glass over time gets thin at the top and thicker at the bottom if very old and also becomes very brittle...

I rememeber a huge shop window i was helping to take out blew up in front of my eyes...Just went straight down as the bottom fell to bits

Talk about a heart attack..Well if it had come down on an angle i might not be doing this post

I have now thrown bricks into at least 300 shop fronts...Then machines cleans up the mess...

All tank manufactures myself included on use brand new glass...If no enginering report is done then manfacturer dont know what they are doing...

I just made one for my accountant of years past at 1.9x 600 x 1 meter high in new 15mm clear glass..

Cheers and forget free glass as your insurance will not cover it...Cheers Phill Collis

I haven't made any tanks myself, got one made by greg but I will most likely source my own glass through my old workplace if I need it again. The benefit of ordering the glass pieces separately is that they can machine polish the edges which look very very nice, I think any place that uses a local glass supplier such as balustrade or shower places if you are willing to do the drawings for the glass panels and let them have some margin. If you're not making the tank yourself though, I would say you should check with your tank maker first and see if they are willing to use your glass.