demasoni breeding

AquaLife

I was cleaning the gravel this morning but didn't notice any fish holding. I can't really tell even if I see it due to my inexperience. However I saw a dead fry floating while cleaning, thinking I lost them all, place all the rocks and oyster shells back in.

An hour ago, while feeding I saw one that's holding. It was obvious, I can actually see the fry inside. Now, what should I do? Should I strip them, or net and placed her in a breeding net/cage or can I just leave her with her colony? I've no experience with stripping and to catch is almost impossible as they'll get mix up when my net go in.

If I have to net her I would and if I have to strip I'll try. Your advice please would be very much appreciate. :)

If you remove her to spit in another tank it can be hard to reintroduce her into the colony (she will have to fight to regain a position of dominance).

You can remove and strip her, however if you have no idea how to do this I have found demasoni very hard to strip and I have been doing it for years and I have managed to kill a female dem just from handling her to strip her.

Putting her in a net in the tank to spit would be a feasible option she should retain her position in the colony from being in the tank, but the other fish in the tank may try and eat her babies through the net once she has spat them and this will kill them, you can use gravel or something like that on the bottom to minimise this.

I usually suggest with people that they create lots of hiding places and just let their dems go for it, they are great survivors with at least a few surviving from most batches so your colony grows steadily. Make hiding places that little fish can get into but big fish can't tiny little rocky outcrops or layers of stacked thin rock work well.

you could try cutting a small hole in the corner of the bag,put the female in there,and lift it out of the water,her head will get caught in the corner because of the flow and she will spit them into the tank below,i have done this with my africans not dems but it will work :D

Yeah, dems can be especially difficult to strip. Especially if you have big giant hands like me :lol:

Isolating her is a good way to get them to survive, and if you have lots and lots of hiding spots the other dems in the tank won't be all that bothered about eating the babies provided you keep them well fed. I had loads and loads of e yellow and dem babies survive in my tank that had many many many hiding spots.

Sweet, lease I know my option, that's, don't even think about trying to strip, I've got shakie hand, haha. Unfortunately I've removed some of the oyster shells that I use to build up for them to hide. I believe she's dropped her fry last night but can't find any, hopefully some do survive in the shells :). If I ever seen any of them holding I may jet get a breeding net or the plastic one and hold her there in the same tank to let her drop them there herself.