Sand type

Fruju

Cool, I may take you up on that if I may David, will let you know I guess. Always fun experimenting with a tank look.

Does anyone have a tank full of the midnight gravel stuff from that petstuff101? A really black tank would be interesting.

I'm coming up north this weekend so could drop some off to you. I havent seen a tank with pure black substrate [im person] but this stuff is pretty dark.

That'll be cool, drop me a pm when your coming, wont be around saturday night though. Also, I dont think I will take the female festae, but if your keen for the male I will give you dibs on him if you want it.

Does anyone on here use the midnight gravel stuff? Pretty expensive gravel though, especially if you want to do a large tank.

Where in Auckland do you live Fruju?

If you wanted to come and pick up a bit of the sand that I'm using to test it out I still have about half a bag or so left, I will need to buy another bag anyway when I start the new tank......

I remember someone had used the midnight gravel when I was trying to decide what to use, just trying to think who it was..... I was going to use it myself but decided it was too expensive and I'm really happy with what I ended up using.

Where in Auckland do you live Fruju?

If you wanted to come and pick up a bit of the sand that I'm using to test it out I still have about half a bag or so left, I will need to buy another bag anyway when I start the new tank......

I remember someone had used the midnight gravel when I was trying to decide what to use, just trying to think who it was..... I was going to use it myself but decided it was too expensive and I'm really happy with what I ended up using.

Sweet as, thanks for that. I might take up David first on his offer, but if I am in need of some extra dirt I would really appreciate your offer too. :D

It will be Saturday morning, if no ones home I can just leave it outside.

I'm trying to get rid of my females, so if someone wants a possible breeding pair of festae PM Fruju and me! :wink:

Cool, I will be here on sat morn. Yup, try and create a breeding pair for another forum member.

Sweet as, thanks for that. I might take up David first on his offer, but if I am in need of some extra dirt I would really appreciate your offer too. :D

Cool, I will be here on sat morn. Yup, try and create a breeding pair for another forum member.

What would be the minimum tank size for a breeding setup with a pair? They're bloody big fish fully grown by the looks of things but would 2 in a 3 foot tank be too small? (I'd imagine it would for a display tank but breeders seem to use smaller tanks in general)

I have petstuff101's midnight gravel in all 3 of my tanks. I love it, its much better than what i've ever had (I used to have stones; grey, white and fruit salad ) Much prefer this colour and texture

Not as good if you have black fish though, theres a red tailed black shark in this picture!

Black_Gravel_001.jpg

Sand_Hex_002.jpg

Black_Gravel_007.jpg

The festae would have to be one of the largest cichlids we can get here I think, rivals the jag cichlid, surpasses the oscar, and have aggression to match.

I have petstuff101's midnight gravel in all 3 of my tanks. I love it, its much better than what i've ever had (I used to have stones; grey, white and fruit salad ) Much prefer this colour and texture

Thats one chunky RTBS right there! 15cm long? Nice gravel, I was thinking about using it in my 6ftr, but then again, with the black background it might be too dark.

The festae would have to be one of the largest cichlids we can get here I think, rivals the jag cichlid, surpasses the oscar, and have aggression to match.

Probably THE largest, first equal with jags, both have the potential for a large male to get to over 40cm. You could probably house a pair in a 4x2x2' tank for a while, although you may have to keep them separated with a divider. I don't really want to do that as I love seeing their natural behaviour as a pair, hopefully my 6x2.5x2' will be big enough...