Acclimatizing to coldwater...

gagaforfish

Then there are the other aspects of stress as well. Ich does well in cold water and if the fish is stressed, you could just be fighting a never ending battle with Ich. Not worth it in my opinion.

I know some cories do well at 21-23C.

In winter cold water tanks would surely get colder than 18C. I know they get down to 7-12 degrees indoors down here.

correct me if i'm wrong but a lot of 'coldwater' fish come from mountain streams in tropical countries and therefore can be happy in coldwater. Ive got golden barbs in an unheated tank and they are doing great, caught them laying eggs several times. pet shops sell many species of fish for coldwater and sure you don't want to put them outside or in an unlined room, but they are coldwater fish sold for unheated tanks.

You don't believe adaptation is possible? It naturally occurs in pretty much every species.

But alright.

We'll leave it at that

If you had hundreds of tanks with thousands of cories and slowly lowered the temperature from 25 to 5 degrees over a span of 30 years I'd say odds aren't that bad that you'll have evolved a proper coldwater cory. Get to to work, Let me know how it goes.:)

some barbs from Asia, sure.

Cories from South America; not so much.

there are mountains in south america too. I don't know if pepered corys live in mountain streams but its not unlikely

A true cold water fish will thrive in an unheated tank in winter when the temps get into the single digits.
tanks shouldn't get down to single digits inside surely?

so i think the conclusion is that there are many coldwater fish, but that doesn't mean that they can live in any temperature or outdoors. any unheated tank needs to be monitored to ensure that the temperature doesn't drop below the minimum for that species and if it does then the tank needs to be moved to a warmer spot or a heater installed.

this seems to be a similar debate to what is a big tank. it can come down to what we see in our own eyes as big or in this case cold water. i see posts of "un-heated" tanks, those tanks in certain rooms of the house may not get under 16 deg depending on the room temp. i think the real discussion is who thinks what temp is cold?? & what can cories cope with.

personally i see a tropical tank 20 deg or more, a tempered tank (heater less tank inside) between 13 & 20 deg & to me a cold water tank is something 13 deg & under which more mimics the temps of our streams & river here in NZ. I have no idea what technically constitutes a cold water temp but that's just what i assume.

personally i see a tropical tank 20 deg or more, a tempered tank (heater less tank inside) between 13 & 20 deg & to me a cold water tank is something 13 deg & under which more mimics the temps of our streams & river here in NZ. I have no idea what technically constitutes a cold water temp but that's just what i assume.

as vary few fish available to the hobby are native fish defining coldwater as the temp in the wild of NZ is pretty useless as we don't keep our fish outside. but we're arguing about definitions. really the fish sold as coldwater in NZ are sub-tropical - that why they can only live inside.

you do realise that goldfish can survive and thrive in lakes that are frozen over?

Those are the true coldwater fish. Natives only thrive in very cold water as it is rich in oxygen.

Temps that near 18- 22/23 degrees are temperate, and over that is tropical.

The terms cold, temperate and tropical have to do with regions on the globe and their proximity to the equator, tropics of Capricorn and cancer.

Temps that near 18- 22/23 degrees are temperate, and over that is tropical.

The terms cold, temperate and tropical have to do with regions on the globe and their proximity to the equator, tropics of Capricorn and cancer.

This might be for you but I personally think of cold water as anything under 23 and tropical is anything over 24.

Then it is really cold water when it has chunks of ice in it