Acclimatizing to coldwater...

gagaforfish

Cories never have and never will be coldwater fish.

Why not? :lol: I'm sure you could evolve them to handle cold water. Might not be in our day but in a few generations... :lol:

It was only a few years since I bought my coldwater swordtails and cories from animates. Got a cory from HFF too back in the day :lol:

over millions and millions of years overcoming geographic barriers.

maybe you need to read a little more about evolution... :)

Adaptation then. The biological phenomena where an animal adapts to better suit its habitat?

The few was sarcastic btw. Like if I said you only have to buy a few lotto tickets to win the big one... :roll: :lol:

The gene pool would need to have the gene present that allows them to survive in colder water. Then the corys with that gene would be selected for. It doesn't just appear because of conditions. New genes can only occur due to mutations and then the environment (could) favours the new gene.

Tolerate may be a better word. Some fish or animals may tolerate conditions outside of what they generally prefer but usually only for a short time and generally they do not do well. A bit like trying to work out why growing tropical fruit in a snow storm causes problems. Tropical fish are tropical fish.