Arowana Help! not eating as if something stuck in mouth

henward

My RTG

usually eats 1 maybe 2 prawns max per feed.

Average 1 prawn per day.

about 1 or 1.5 months ago, it ate a clown loach, after swallowing, it was hesitant to eat, would chase food but cannot bite or swallow and spits it out.

after 3 days it started eating FD Shrimp, after 5 it ate shrimps again.

still chewing and takes ages to swallow. then after about 2 weeks, it would eat perfectly fine, as normal, hungry etc.

Then 11 days ago, after a feed of shrimps no sell. it swallows the first like a monster. Then the second, it keeps in its mouth, this is common i found, its deshelled and it tends to chew them. but usually swallows the the second or last piece it goes for with in a couple hours max after chewing.

The nextd ay, come feeding time, it ignores food.

It seems like its stillc hewing, weird.

So i left it.

Then the next day, still ignores food.

fast forward to 11 days now, today, i try dangling a prawn with shell no head and with no shell - it loves prawns with shell, really notices it has the shell.... it darts from the end of the tank to the prawn like it wants to eat it, but cannot seem to grab the shrimp, it just sits there, circling the food, wanting to go for it, smelling it... literally will stay there for 1 min as it is hungry and very visibly so. It has done this from 8 days ago until now.

But it seems like there is something in its mouth to chew. You know when aros swallow,it pushes it wtih its tongue and has eh trademark bottom of mouth popping out as it does it. i cant see anything in the mouth, but then again ist hard.

no fish are missing - all its eated is prawns and fd shrimp.

What do i do?

Its clearly and visibly hungry for food. But something is stopping it.

11 days later, today, its clearly a lil more stressed in the tank, i know they can go ages wtih no food, but i think its taking its toll on the fish.

any ideas?

i dont want to take it out and forcefully open its mouth to check, that would ccaught must more stress.

help!!

never encountered this before.

Sorry to hear this Henward..

I have no experience with this but when I read your post I was thinking a bath with a seditive in it to knock it out and then examining the throat properly to eliminate anything stuck in there.. if he is still energetic he should survive fine.

You might have to get hold of some sort of vet or something to do this properly.

yeah, the aro improter who has had experience said he has meds to give me to put t to sleep while i examine the mouht

but he said wait a bit more, as if its internal, and needs to heal only, then putting it to sleep wont help

i will wait a few mroe days i think

then do something if required.

There are some instructions here from someone who put their fish to sleep using clove oil and did some surgery, the fish didn't make it but I don't think that was clove oil related..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37156

TBH I would examine ASAP if there is something internal going on like an infection you need to know ASAP so you can treat it with antibiotics while you still have a chance.

was planning to put it to sleep mid next week if woudl not eat.

but last night, EUREKA!!

dangled shrimp... and took it immediately!! swallowed it with no hassles.

then it even ate some pellets... probably starving!

at least 2 weeks of no food at all.

hope it keeps it up. will try to feed today.

haha

fair enough

actually i dont power feed the rtg anymore, havent for ages now.

it will take only what it wants to eat. usually 1 shrimp a day average, sometimes none.

i feed a lil bit of fd shrimp , well used to - but no power feeding.

i do believe it had smoethign int he mouth, it was chewing the whole time.

and physically could not open the mouth enought o take in food.

but last night, took the shrimp easily.

since its big, it isnt eating as much as it used to.

but it will eat endless amounts of locust though lol or mealworms if given the chance.

• 2 weeks later...