My Bettas got it on! Umm, what now?!

Popsicool

Ive only got 15 of mine left too :-( but the ones that are left seem to be doing fine... still a little on the small side though. Frustrating feeling aye!

My fry were that size at 2 months :o I was really bad with them :-?

They're all grown up now. Well 5 of them are. The rest are missing pelvic fins and some have bad spines :(

My theories to losing lots of fighters at this age -

bacteria

ammonia build up in the tank

lack of properly developed ventrals when they start to come up for air

cold air (pneumonia)

insufficient feeding

Bad development of ventral fins (as in no ventral fins or only one)

water quality not good enough during development

nippy young fighters will often take off anothers ventrals

genetic (you can use a fish without ventrals and still produce perfect fish)

There are probably another thousand theories out there but these are the ones I have, in the past, observed.

Thank you Adrienne - any tips on how to stop losing them?

I'm religious with water changes and recently did a 95% change when I noticed they started dying. I don't think ammonia is a problem.

I also make sure there's always little wriggling worms on the bottom should they get hungry.

What about tips on getting them switched onto frozen food instead of live?

What about tips on getting them switched onto frozen food instead of live?

Try decapsulated brine shrimp like I linked before. I'm not sure if Adrienne uses it, but a lot of other people on betta websites have suggested it.

I went from microworms to decapsulated brine shrimp to flakes.

Just slowly change the feedings. Every 6 feedings was decap shrimp but then I thinned it down to every feeding then started using flakes

Try decapsulated brine shrimp like I linked before. I'm not sure if Adrienne uses it, but a lot of other people on betta websites have suggested it.

I went from microworms to decapsulated brine shrimp to flakes.

Just slowly change the feedings. Every 6 feedings was decap shrimp but then I thinned it down to every feeding then started using flakes

Already bought it as soon as you said :D

Culling is best for most deformed fish. Belly sliders do not recover, make room for the healthy fish.

A lot of mine spent a lot of time on their bellies but I think it's because they are looking for food? They all swim properly though at times.

Are belly sliders ALWAYS on their bellies? They haven't learnt to swim?

A lot of mine spent a lot of time on their bellies but I think it's because they are looking for food? They all swim properly though at times.

Are belly sliders ALWAYS on their bellies? They haven't learnt to swim?

Belly sliders are quite obviously deformed. I had Betta fry that skimmed along the bottom looking for food, these were not belly sliders. If you're not sure then just leave them until they're older and you're quite sure whether or not they're deformed.

HTH

Yay!! Just got another batch of eggs out of my dragon - hopefully a few more survive than my last batch... is it true too much BBS gives your babies swim bladder problems?

Congratulations!

Yeah I read that in quite a few places as well. Apparently they fry gorge themselves on it which causes the problems..

My poor little babies, I have to watch some of them dying and I don't know what to do. It breaks my heart. They lie on the bottom, kind of on an angle/side with their mouths wide open and look like they are trying to breathe really hard. But they're still swimming around. Does that have anything to do with ventrals?

Do some fish just produce fry with bad genes? I.e. since this batch seems to be dying off, I shouldn't mate the two parents again?

Down to 13 now and another couple are doing the open mouth thing. :cry:

A lot of my first batch did that too... still holding on to 15 though. My second batch have just hatched and the boy is doing a good job of keeping all his children in line, I'd say there's a good 150 bubs at tho mo (I know it won't end up being that many though... oh well, we can only but try :-)

aw no :cry:

some parents can have a genetic mutation that is passed down to its offspring. but I've read water quality is the major cause in betta fry death. missing ventrals can either be from fry sitting on the bottom and the bacteria on the ground stunting the growth of ventrals (http://www.bcbetta.com/fry.html) or it could be genetic