What are they?

Bilbo

Took Miss 8 for a drive near Foxton.

We got to a small shallow swamp a few hundred meters away from the beach and found heaps of tiny swimming animals about 1mm long. They look a little like daphnia with slightly over sized antenna but only 1mm long total and bright red. They are really fast and extremely hard to catch with a syringe.

Second thing I couldn't ID was millions of tiny swimming spheres similar to cypris but smaller and white about 1/2 - 1mm round. They hover at the bottom of the jar.

The water had a few aquatic plants and thousands of tadpoles and tens of thousands of baby water boatman so I think it was fresh.

I dont think they are mysis unless they are babies. I have a few mysis too but they are way bigger and black or grey. These things are blood red and tiny.

They have mostly died now anyway.

Simon you got my PM I hope :)

Yeah I did, sorry, I got busy and never replied.

Mysis shrimp look more like mossie larvae to look at but smaller.

I think I have seen these before but am not sure what they are

OK, I know now what you are talking bout Bilbo. I had some when I collected a heap of Aquatic plants from a pond. They are bigger than Daphnia and are a brick red colour.

I looked them up when I had them(it was months ago) and I concluded they were a type of Ostracod.

They look like orange beads with little legs that they swim with on one side.

Does this sound like what you saw Win?