Big Quake ... Chch

dcase

I can only imagine what it feels like, but I unfortunately have experienced an earthquake that was much larger than a 7.1.

then you will also know even lighter ones can do a lot of damage depending on the construction of your house, soil types, distance from centre etc, etc. (P.S I was an 11 year old in Reefton during the Inangahua quake too)

I can only imagine what it feels like, but I unfortunately have experienced an earthquake that was much larger than a 7.1.

Wow where?

I was living in edgecumbe when the earthquake struck there, there was a few aftershocks that were only just over 4, but they were close, so we felt them alright and they still caused a fair amount of damage.

I was on holiday on the west coast of india on the 26 of Jan 2001. That was a 7.9 IIRC. It was total destruction. Then I spent 2 weeks in a little village with some people that helped rebuild it. There was just too much to do.

The final stats were over 20,000 - 25,000 dead and more than half a million homeless :cry:

:\