Betta Tankmates - 20/30L

fish_tank0311

So my birthdays coming up, and since my last fighter fish died of fungal disease (ill explain below) iv been dying to start a new fighter only tank, maybe with snails or something. Im wishing for a little 20 litre setup with all the bits n bobs n gear, but what tankmates do you guys think i can get? Small fish which dont cost much $ and wont bully my fighter, or maybe snails or something. Let me know what you think.

Ok my last fighter was black and red crowntail. About a year old when he died. He was in an 86 litre tank with baby angelfish and gouramis, was going reasonably fine. Then i went away for 3 days and when i came back he had some white fluffy fungus on his head near his gills, and he was like that for a week. I quarentined him in a cut open 1.5L coke bottle, inside the tank so he kept warm but no water got through. I went and bought lots of special medicines and salt, but a few days after he died. I couldnt save him. poor bugger. anyway now im wanting a new tank especially dedicated to 1 lucky boy which i will take extreme care for. Questions, comments, advice, come forth, shoot, thanks for reading and advising. :bounce:

I'd recommend going to Adrienne's sometime and looking at her fighters. She has some lovely PK's (Plakats). They're less hassle than fancy fighters because of their shorter fins, but still have just as much colour as fancy fighters. Means they can go with fish that might normally nip long fins, I have my blue PK in a 54L with two dwarf puffers for example. I'd say you could only have an otto or two in that sized tank though.

HTH

Mmm, bit too big, looking for just 20-30 litres, dont really have the room for much more. And i wanted a glass tank too, not plastic. Not sure on how much im spending. HFF sell them for $90 which come with lights and filter and everything, just not sure if its glass or plastic.

60-30-30 in nice glass is still small :wink:

He'll be fine by himself, but alternatively if you get a 30L tank with a good filter, you could stick in 5 or so ember tetras. Or (not as well, lol) depending on the foot that the tank has, you could put in 3 cories (although some of them get quite big and may need to be moved when they get bigger). I've kept fighters with cories before and they ignore each other so they're a good match! Keep in mind that some fighters like munching on fish small enough or with long enough fins (guppies, for example).

@SamH – a fighter with puffers! Wow – don't the puffers ever have a go at your boy's fins?

@SamH – a fighter with puffers! Wow – don't the puffers ever have a go at your boy's fins?

Nope, he's been in this tank for a while, it's his territory. Any time they come to close he just flares and chases them. Puffers just hang out away from him :lol:

you can pop apple snails, i've found most small tetras, bumble bee gobies, bristle noses, cories.... ones that will occupie a different space in the tank or are gentle and don't cause hassle, i've even had rams with mine.

I had golden apple snails in our 34L tank... they very very quickly outgrew the tank in the space of a few months, and produce loads of waste. They are cool to watch tho.

Mmm, bit too big, looking for just 20-30 litres, dont really have the room for much more. And i wanted a glass tank too, not plastic. Not sure on how much im spending. HFF sell them for $90 which come with lights and filter and everything, just not sure if its glass or plastic.

Get the 30L. Its only $10 more, same foot print and just a bit taller :D

Nope, he's been in this tank for a while, it's his territory. Any time they come to close he just flares and chases them. Puffers just hang out away from him :lol:

Lol thats funny.

Yeah ill think about it. see whats best, it is after sort of my parents choice seen as it could be my birthday present. Yay for 14 lol. Thanks