GST RISE TOMORROW!!!!

Zayne

We have a free Health system. Almost free education system, If you loose your job you can get a benefit.

Be realistic and stop complaining.

You're kidding right!!!??? It cost Hannah $72 to go to the doctors on Sunday when she had conjunctivitis, plus about $30 for drugs. The alternative was to spend most of the day waiting in a public hospital as a non-urgent case.

With the amount of tax we pay I'm bitterly disappointed at the borderline third world core services we have, and at the amount of money that goes into funding other non-essential things like sports, "culture", arts etc. Our roads are seriously lacking, our hospitals overflowing and waiting lists long, or schools rely on "compulsory donations" from parents, and our police force are expected to run a profit from law enforcement. Let alone things like St Johns and the ambulance service.

I'd happily pay more tax if I was getting decent services in return for it, but I'm not and I don't see any political party having the balls to do some serious spending and rearranging of the way our money is spent.....

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're kidding right!!!??? It cost Hannah $72 to go to the doctors on Sunday when she had conjunctivitis, plus about $30 for drugs. The alternative was to spend most of the day waiting in a public hospital as a non-urgent case.

With the amount of tax we pay I'm bitterly disappointed at the borderline third world core services we have, and at the amount of money that goes into funding other non-essential things like sports, "culture", arts etc. Our roads are seriously lacking, our hospitals overflowing and waiting lists long, or schools rely on "compulsory donations" from parents, and our police force are expected to run a profit from law enforcement. Let alone things like St Johns and the ambulance service.

I'd happily pay more tax if I was getting decent services in return for it, but I'm not and I don't see any political party having the balls to do some serious spending and rearranging of the way our money is spent.....

Our roads around here are generally pretty well maintained, much smoother than, for example, most of the highways in LA.

And healthcare here is EXTREMELY cheap. My last trip to the doctor cost like $50 including 2 weeks worth of antibiotics. Compare to my brother in the US he mentioned once his last trip to the doctor for a sore throat was about $150nz for the appointment, about the same amount on top of that for antibiotics and this is on top of paying $900nz for medical insurance that is about the same level coverage as I get for $50nz/month here.

I have to agree with this. I live near North shore hospital, where its probably safer to treat yourself at home than go there ;)

The alternative was to spend most of the day waiting in a public hospital as a non-urgent case.

But there is that alternative, you choose to be quicker and more convenient then you pay for it.

If it was free for every small ailment that people had then the doctors would never get through any patients as Joe Bloggs will go to the doctor for just a sore throat cos it free. Can you imagine the line for the Doctor if they were to be 100% free?

NZ is hardly third world! :o