Rear cover Crypts? + lighting experiment

phoenix44

Soooo I have a thing for crypts :lol:

There is something about them that is totally different to other plants, so I dedicated a planted tank to them and a couple of other plants from Asia.

I grew the plants under 2x 36W T5 HO @ 18000K and even with CO2, slimy green algae took hold; so I severely down graded the lights to 1x 18W CFL @ 6500K. Crypts did fine under that light and the algae was under control too.

But now I have reverted to the T5HO because I want to see what the algae does.

The tank looks much better with the even illumination of the tubes as compared to being lit with the CFL.

Now for the 'Q'. Is crypt balansae the only one I can use as a background plant that will sort of cover the top?

This is the tank under the HO lights -

DSC03082Small.png

To clarify the question, You are asking if balansae is the only available crypt to grow to the surface? Is this correct?

If yes, then NO. There is also C. retrospiralis. It is much slower growing than Cryptocoryne crispatula var. balansae. It is also harder to find. There was some recently advertised on trade me but that was Balansae.

There are a few forms of balansae available internationally, but only a few are available in NZ, Jens red variety is an example.

Nav, Blassi is a form of C. cordata, which is a reasonably low growing plant.

Cryptocoryne pontederiifolia is definately a crypt. It comes from Sumatra. Slow to establish but does grow quite thickly once its happy.

Most crypts will grow lower with the more light they have. Balansae does best in hard water with a higher ph than most other crypts prefer. It is also better in situations with higher water movements.

HTH

Any more questions then fire away

Thanks all :D I quite like nano tanks. If I knew what I was doing next year I'd get a heap of mossie rasboras for this tank.

For the plant suggestion - I more meant, what would be adequate as a background plant for this tank. just like val would be a background plant; but a crypt.

Balansae will probably get too big, although I did want something that would start growing and covering the back... If you know me you'll know it will be almost impossible to find one plant I like and stick with that :lol:

Bob has it growing under a massive amount of lights, metal halides, etc and it is lovely. Tall and gorgeous dark green leaves with purple undersides. :D

Interesting. I inherited a large Cordata from Vinson that is large and looks slightly different to mine which I have flowered and ID'd as C.cordata"blassi".

This one came from down CHCH way. I may have to bring it inside and try to get it to flower and see what we have. It may be a different form. There are a few differnt ones out there, but dont know about here in NZ. Has Bob had this flower?

Here is a pic from a guy in Aussie

C.cordata "Rosenervis"

http://i879.photobucket.com/albums/ab358/Brian-Seccombe/CryptcordataRosenervis-3.jpg

I am seriously no expert with identifying these, but I do know that Bob is an expert in crypts - he has been keeping them for 30 years or something like that and has a lot of rare types emmersed. I presume he is right, but I really have no idea. I recently got a cordata from up north and know that it is a version of blassi, but it doesn't look anything like the blassi that I have. :roll:

C. cordata has cordate green leaves.

C. cordata var. siamensis has oval leaf lamina which is brown on the upper side and purpleish on the underside.

C. cordata var. bassii has narrow leaves with pale red veins which is either puckered or smooth. The leaf colour is browinish green and deep purple on the underside.

C. cordata 'Rosa Nervis' is believed to be a cultivar. This plant has pink veins on the glossy dark green leaf blade. This feature may be less pronounced in certain conditions.

Unnikirshnan S.K. Dr. The Aquarium Plant Handbook 2002. Oriental Aquatics

Now I am more confused :o

You got to love them don't you - could be this colour, or that colour, or wrinkly, or smooth - depending on the conditions.

Oh, forgot to add, they all are characterised by a broad yellow limb of spathe, which may be glossy (siamensis) or with a brown tinge (blassii)

So, unless you have several to compare, grown in the same conditions - it may still be a mystery!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...