Juwel Rio 240 set up for SA Cichlids (Warning: Photos)

DennisP

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Throw it out?

But where!? The beach....?

poolfilter sand is a natural brown. but only do what you like, because at the end of the day it is your tank.

No no, I will listen to what people say/recommend, and if its not too much trouble will probably do it. In the end, you guys probably know best! :lol:

Before:

Sept20001.jpg

After:

Sept21.jpg

$6.89, 25L of sand, 2 hours in the freezing cold and 1 hour filling up the tank again, this is the result. It is darker than in the photo as the lights are very bright. It is "Result's Fine Sand" which I got from Mitre10 Mega. It does look much better now. :lol:

Much, much nicer.

Suffice to say I would be happy to see that tank in my house. :D

:hail: :bounce:

I have a question for Geo Keepers. If they spawn, I hear they can get quite aggressive/territorial/defensive. How aggressive do they get? If I introduce a BGK, it will almost certainly eat the eggs/fry and for this reason the geo's will almost certainly attack the BGK, unless it is super ninja. I suspect a youngish BGK would be quite delicate and I wouldn't want it to get injured.

So what are they like as parents? Will they attack and kill, or just chase around the tank?

Excuse me while I covet your driftwood :hail:;)

One of the tricks with getting a natural look is thinking about the way things actually work in the wild.

I know things come out differently in the photos, but to me the stones you have blend in better with the silica sand, although I do prefer the more natural colour of your new sand. In streams/lakes the larger stones are usually of the same rock as the finer gravel.

Also you didn't like the way the sand had settled over the wood. I think that actually made it look more natural. A tanks with all the aquascaping components highly separated makes it look forced. By allowing them to merge they look more real and aged. To make rock placement look natural, I find it is good to sprinkle some gravel over the rocks after partially burying them. Of course the sand lends itself to that so well.

You mentioned the possibility to getting it a bit tannined. Check what sort of habitat your fish evolved in, but to me, some native beech leaves sprinkled around in there would look AWESOME and colour the water a little. ;)

Looking really good. I think you have a knack for this :)

:D Thank you!

but to me the stones you have blend in better with the silica sand.

I realized this too. :lol:

When I originally got them (a while back) they stood out like crazy! But as they stayed in there a while, grey some algae and got stained a bit from the water they blended in much nicer. Hopefully that will happen again.

As I've done a few times now, I will bring back some rocks from the Marlborough sounds next week. The problem is that requires excursions with preferably the big boat which my dad isn't too happy to let me take out, land it on a beach and fill it up with rocks. :lol: Also, they seem to be made of really condensed clay and some limestone so I have to be careful of what I get that it doesn't end up dissolving/falling apart or raising the pH too much.

Apart from that, they are quite yellow and interesting shapes. :lol: I'll probably bring a few buckets up with me this time.