Discus stressed from transport - advice needed

Aquila

Hi guys, I just received the discus from Henward at about 12:30 pm and rushed home to put them in the tank. I floated the bags, mixed half tank and half bag water and let them acclimate for about 30 min.

There are 5 discus in total, and 4 of them have started settling in and simming around with the others. A couple have even started eating.

The biggest Cobalt male however is still struggling. His breathing is only a little bit slower but he is acting quite lethargic. He is sitting near the bottom and leaning a bit on the tank wall. Hi eyes are still moving around and reacting to his surroundings but he hasn't recovered like the others.

I turned off half the tank lights to make things a bit more comforting. The female colbalt keeps him company most of the time but then swims with the other fish for a while too.

He was packed in a huge bag on his own. Wasn't gasping for air when I opened the box but lying slightly on his side (a few of the others were also doing this but straightened out quicker once they 'woke' up). The water got fairly cool as I find that those heat packs never last 40 hr like they are suppose to.

Is there anything else I can for him? I don't wanna lose him.

We don't know his age, probably at least 3 years i would guess.

He is definitely a big boy...and I knew shipping him would be risky.

I just don't wanna miss any opportunity to do something to help him that i've overlooked.

Would a water change when I got home be a good idea or would that just push him over the edge :(

I'm glad there are other discus around him. I hope his girlfriend can convince him to not give up!

when if irst got him, he was the msot stressed too, ig uess being so big he dosent like being in small buckets or bags.

now you know why i put him on his own in a massive bag by himself in his own poly box. couldnt risk a smalle rbag!

the fins must have pricked the bags, They were triple bagged.

Im glad the others landed fine!

I would turn all lights off and put a black or dark coloured cloth over the tank,a nd just wait.

Unfortunately, like yous aid, shipping is always relatively risky.... he is a big boy, maybe a bucket load of stress zyme or melafix?

i wouldnt change water - that would stress him out more, i reckon just leave him and hope for the best. thats what i would do.

Thanks Henward!

Yeah, I honestly don't know how you could have packed him any better! Thanks for taking such good care of him :)

I am just over anxious and trying to make sure I am doing the right thing!

I will avoid water change, and turn off the rest of the lights when I get home. I think i have some AquaPlus and Melefix that i can 'dump' in.

They are such beauties by the way! I am amazed how much colour they are showing already. Can't wait for him to recovery so I can take some pics!

Might not want to hand off my friend's 3 discus to her tonight...ahaha.

i am actually hopeless at packing. LFS packed it, bagged it, boxed and sent it for me.

I have faith he will be ok!

strong fish that one.

The others - the small turq has developed more in colour since i got it,t he colour was not as full when i initiall got it.

the otheres i am pretty sure wont grow that much more - fed good food too.

Leopard is a nice colour and pattern too, the small one.

just keep the others:) dont give them up! lol

My fav is the big cobalts and the snow leopard!!

You are welcome anytime! You can visit your angels (as I have them now) and their little army of babies too :P

OMG that's awesome that you managed to get them breeding successfully! Are they taking care of their own fry or do you have to separate? PHOTOS :bounce: :bounce:

Tried to breed my long-finned angels but absolutely hopeless, ended up selling them :o they were laying eggs every week.

I've been separating them from the eggs since I got them. But now that I've run out of room I may let them have a go. Both pairs are laying but the white ones do a better job of it so far. When they were in my friend's tank still, the white pair managed to raise the fry to free swimming. Most of the fry were lost to starvation and the filter though. But the parents kept herding the ones that were left :)

The eggs that I collected across several spawnings have had a good survivial rate though. The hardest part is to convince them to start eating. But once they do they grow pretty quick. The biggest of the fry army are now almost 2cm! I've got a mix of angel fry and blue ram fry in a 40L tank. Will have to move them to a bigger one soon!

I will post pics maybe tonight.

Thanks everyone!

He's taken a turn for the better!

I came home pretty stressed because my bf said he was head down beside the log but still breathing the same. It was a pretty tight spot so I made the decision to pull him out. I turned the lights off and gently pulled on his tail (i know that sounds harsh but there wasn't a way to squeeze my hand in otherwise) and then guided him out to a more open area where the other discus were. He came right all of a sudden and started swimming normally with them!

He stayed like that for a couple hours! He is now near the top a bit but is doing much better.

Thanks guys.

Now I just have to figure out what to do with the body. He is in my freezer :(

But at least all the other fish are doing well!

His girlfriend has settled in and acts as if she hasn't even switched tanks.

And I got 2 royal whiptails to cheers me up :)

Yeah fish that size are tricky to dispose since they won't fit down the loo, I had to chuck a huge Snow white into the bin :cry: it was a DOA due to sloppy courier service.

Found a 6cm Blue Diamond dead this morning (had it at 2cm)..ate too much bloodworms last night and must have got bloated badly :( it was always a piggy