Leo enclosure

Morcs

Im toying with the idea of setting up a leopard gecko enclosure, and seeing as though ive got a spare 3ft lying around, thought id look into setting one up.

As you can see id sit it on top of the beardies viv, testing to see how much heat from my 150w heat emmitter gets into the 3ft - possibly free heating but i doubt it will be enough as i cant place the top viv directly over the heatlamp due to the wiring.

Question:

Heatmatt or heat lamp (lamp is harder to mount, not sure how safe a heat mat will be between two glass tanks

and do i need the poly?

sdc11632.jpg

sdc11633k.jpg

Heat emitter maybe enough for night time heat. May need a basking bulb during the day?

Going to be a nuisance to access the bottom tank...

Suppose could just use a 40w spot bulb or something, doesnt need to be UV and cheap as chips.

Didnt think they like to bask so to speak as they are nocturnal, and they just need heat for bodily functions?

Bottom tank is sweet as it has sliding front doors - and its not like the top tank is full a water, nice and easy to move.

Whats your opinion on poly on the top tank?

Cheers :D

True I didnt even notice the sliding doors :oops:

Not sure about the basking, I dont keep Leopard gecko's tbh. I know someone on here who was in the know use to recommend heat mats, and another breeder bulbs for memory.

Pretty sure you still need a hot and cool end? so either should work ok. Just because something is nocturnal doesnt mean they wont bask at times.

Livingart has a good point, maybe just a towel or some cardboard etc.

well i figure they dont stay in their hides all day (could be wrong). Id be encouraging them out if i had them, what good is a pet you never see..

according to care sheet on here need warmer temps during the day as well as a hot and cold end. So if it was me they would get a heat mat or emitter with thermostat for night, and a basking bulb for day.

You just need a very simple enclosure.

you know those compressed wood shavings we send turtles in? save them and keep those wet and in a small box like thing. They sit in that during the day.

Have a heat mat (exoT makes one) at the bottom of the tank under the glass, and you'll be sweet.

You just need a very simple enclosure.

you know those compressed wood shavings we send turtles in? save them and keep those wet and in a small box like thing. They sit in that during the day.

Have a heat mat (exoT makes one) at the bottom of the tank under the glass, and you'll be sweet.

Yeah i ordered some spaghnum moss for the moist hide. and getting hooked up with the exo terra desert mat.

Will be using artificial grass in this enclosure.

Im not happy with the tank size dimensionally. 30 wide just doesnt seem big enough - toying with the idea of getting something like a 75x45x45 made up, better?

Going with the 3ft. considering im outta work for the time being ill just use what i have.

Cut the middle bracing off the tank, and added my Jebo clamp on lamp for lighting.

Got 2 hides, moist hide thingy has been ordered.

Tiles on bottom and sides - less than $6 for a pack of 6!!!!

Going to get a mesh screen top too.

sdc11667u.jpg

sdc11668.jpg

sdc11669v.jpg