Cheap heaters will break

maoripho3nix

the jagers have specially treated glass to prevent that happening, if you search youtube you may also find a rena being run over by a van. i would be more concerned by how they actually heat & maintain the temp of the tank, that to me is what makes a good heater & not if you can fully heat them up & drop them into a tank or be able to run over one. i personally recommend jagers for the fact they do a better job as a heater than others i have had.

Im know Jager's are top line product and I'm sure anything better above them are steel heaters.

But still.....DONT BUY CHEAP HEATERS :P

Most of the stainless steel heaters are lower quality. So, the housing might not break, but it is more likely to boil your fish.

Most of the stainless steel heaters are lower quality. So, the housing might not break, but it is more likely to boil your fish.

I was of the understanding that boiling your tank was less likely to happen with a s/s heater as they use an electronic thermostat and not a bi-metalic strip like most glass heaters

I don't like the look of elite heaters anyway.

Recently needed a heater and both elite and blue planet were on special. I didn't like the look of the elite but ummed and ahhed over the B.P .. got it even though I would have preferred a jager.. but the BP special was very god. Anyway , got it home, to find the glass was broken and there was no temp range on the dial.. yes I know it's inaccurate but usually there is some starting point! Took it back and got the jager I wanted in the first place.

Pleased I did.,.. has kept the temp constant even on the coldest of nights in the coldest room in the house.

:lol:

everytime ive ran a sump dry (siphoning a system quicker than auto top up able to fill) which has been on a few occaisions, when theres been a fluval and jager in the same sump, fluval would break everytime, jager would be sweet as.

Is there any reason for the unbroken heater to not be steaming? The only thing I can think is it was either a lot colder or it was not turned on

The jagers are bigger, so for the same wattage it will be spread out over a larger area resulting in a lower surface temperature. Lower temperature=less stress when it's dunked into cold water. I doubt jager or the cheaper heaters use different glass, probably made of a borosilicate glass like the early Pyrex dishes.