Striatums

Mr T

At last, collected 20 eggs today.

I've got 2 pairs and 1 trio set up in seperate tanks, with mops. I put them together last Wednesday and been feeding them up on worms. Been doing a few water changes, as suggested by Barrie and it seems to have finally paid off.

I've had great success with Gardneri Blues, with my last spawning producing over 60 fry. Managed to spread them around the South Island a bit through TM and hopefully get some of the males into a local fish shop.

I'll keep updating if anyones interested?

Well, you are all going to get bored with me writing, but I'm now using this thread to keep track of my egg collecting.

I fed them worms at 6am, checked at 2pm and nothing. Checked again at 8pm and found 21 eggs.

I think I might have to get a 2nd container of peat, if it continues like this.

Unlucky for some, 13 eggs today. That brings the total close to 70.

What I have found interesting, is that its not always the biggest female that lays the most eggs.

Also, always check your hands after checking a mop, as quite often there are eggs stuck to them.

18 today.

I hope the eggs are ok, as the last 2 days I've opened the container and its had water in it. Normally the eggs are on damp peat. I've drained it and now floating the container in a plastic bag.

Its hard to know when you've got enough eggs but I think I'll stop on Saturday, as I want to try spawning some Bitaeniatums next.

Thanks Barrie.

I'm not sure how the water got in, as it was (I thought) an airtight container. Seems to be ok now that is also in a bag. Strange though, as I used it last time with no problem.

I'm just about to do my last mop check and then its just a 2 week wait until I wet the peat.

I'll let you all know how I get on with the hatch rate.

• 2 weeks later...

Wet the peat yesterday and only 3 fry so far. We had no power for 36hrs due the earthquake last week but the eggs were floating in my most insulated tank. Hopefully there are a few more today. Lets not forget, I collected close to 100 eggs.