Accident Prone Betta

Ice222

Really, I've always found glass lids terrible to maneuver and today it finally happened, it fell in the tank and hurt my fish D:. My poor poor fighter had a chunk of scales scrapped off his side and some brusing too. He sat at the bottom of the tank completely still, gasping with fins clamped and looking much paler than usual. I panicked and put in some Stress coat as the amount recommended but the bottle (I kinda just poured the whole dose in at once instead of slowly mixing it like I would've if I was less panicked).

After about 10 minutes he finally started swimming again, thank god too. He looks much better now, swimming normally except just a little slower, and even had an appetite to eat. I swear the missing scales have even grown back already (after 20mins), although not fully healed as you can still see his injury. I'm just amazed at the recovery, and thank god he's okay, I'm so attached to all of my fish, and I'd feel so guilty since it's my fault that the lid fell in. Changing my tank lids to over sized clear plastic covers from now on. Lighter, easier to move and much harder to drop like what happened today.

That's true, but when it's my pet I can't help worrying. Still doing away with the lids though, I can imagine that the damage would've been a lot worse had the glass landed on the fish completely. Plus one of the lid pieces is big enough to squash quite a large area under, such that fish wouldn't really have room to avoid where it lands. I'm still amazed at how quickly the scales seemed to have grown back though.

poor betta. I'm sure he'll be fine though. Give him good clean water for him to heal.

One of my dwarf gouramis got stuck in a piece of driftwood twice. Both times he was really stuck and we had to push him out leaving broken dorsal fin and huge scrape on the top of his head and under his belly. We could actually hear the sickening sound of him crunching as we pushed him through.

I really thought we were goign to lose him the 2nd time it happened as he seemed to be swimming very slowly and unbalanced . But several months later he is doing just fine and you can hardly see where his injurys were. The only noticeable difference is that he is smaller in size compared to the other dwarf gourami we got at the same time. i guess his energy went into healing instead of growing. But it's not a huge difference.

One of my CPDs got stuck behind a old filter I've since ditched. it's stunted as well, tons paler and smaller than the others, didn't help that it was already the smallest in the bunch i got to begin with xD. She's fine now, but I sure thought she was a gonner too. the betta's surface dmg was definately tons worse than that of the CPD.

Sorry to hear about the accident.

I've done a similar thing with a thin glass lid of another smaller tank. I was resting it on top of a bigger tank with no lid. I bumped it and it slid into the tank on an angle and ended up slicing half my plants at their bases before coming to a rest pinning tetra's to the substrate. :o It all happened so fast.

I used to have a clown loach that was insistent on getting into the tightest part of a piece of driftwood.

It couldn't get enough power when swimming backwards and it couldn't go out forwards...

Every time I took it out it would swim instantly back into it. I then Destroy the driftwood and problem solved.

I used to have a clown loach that was insistent on getting into the tightest part of a piece of driftwood.

It couldn't get enough power when swimming backwards and it couldn't go out forwards...

Every time I took it out it would swim instantly back into it. I then Destroy the driftwood and problem solved.

we ended up making the tunnel in the driftwood larger so he couldn't get stuck anymore. problem solved. He was going in there to see what the kuhlis were eating.

I've drop lids in countless times, never touched the fish and simply squashed the plants down but I still jump everytime.

we ended up making the tunnel in the driftwood larger so he couldn't get stuck anymore. problem solved. He was going in there to see what the kuhlis were eating.

Good idea :hail: Anabantoids seem to be full of curiosity :lol:

Hope the fish is ok, I have dropped plenty of lids in and I am yet to hit a fish, generally the drop flat and just float through the water but when dropped on an edge could do some damage..

I dropped a lid in once, missed the fish but got my knuckle. 6 stitches later and you can now, about 3 years later still see the scar :roll:

I have done a similar thing except the lid landed on my foot went in about 2cm deep cut a nerve, ended up getting shot up with morphine stitched up and had to get ultrasound to make sure the glass was out.. My toe and side of my foot is still numb to this day due to nerve damage :)

Fish is still fine today, even started chasing my oto cats a little like he usually does (don't worry the otos are much too quick for him, and he only chases them sparingly). Did a waterchange too just to keep the water as clean as can be. I've been water changing this tank about 1/6 every 2-3 days anyway so it should be good.

• 1 month later...

Sigh, he got hurt AGAIN. This time he swam too close to the siphon as I was cleaning the tank. The siphons was stationary, he swam up to it and got his head sucked in ofr a second, now he has a ugly ring of ruffled scales around his head that looks rather painful :(. Too darn curious for his own good. I wish he'd stop getting hurt! There's only so much I can do in terms of being careful!

Think of it this way. Its so much nicer having a fighter that actually swims around in a tank interacting with every one and every thing than one that just hangs in the corner looking half dead. :D

He will be fine. One of mine got itself stuck halfway in and halfway out one of the small holes in the coke bottle. He nearly cut himself in half but keeping the tank clean worked miracles and he's great. All healed and stunning looking.