Heating

maoripho3nix

New Tank = New Equipment = $$ gone :( haha

Aquaone have heaters on special atm. When the new tank and sump is setup, the total water volume will be around 200-210L.

What is the best method to go by of heating? Keeping in mind efficiency of heating and of cost of power.

Is it better to use a heater that is rated above the w/pl....say a 300w for my setup? or run 2 heaters?

My idea is, say a 200w will heat the volume of water, but will be on quite a bit. If I was to get 2 x 150w heaters, would they heat the water more efficiently concerning power? spreading the workload of heating?

:bow:

New Tank = New Equipment = $$ gone :( haha

Aquaone have heaters on special atm. When the new tank and sump is setup, the total water volume will be around 200-210L.

What is the best method to go by of heating? Keeping in mind efficiency of heating and of cost of power.

Is it better to use a heater that is rated above the w/pl....say a 300w for my setup? or run 2 heaters?

My idea is, say a 200w will heat the volume of water, but will be on quite a bit. If I was to get 2 x 150w heaters, would they heat the water more efficiently concerning power? spreading the workload of heating?

:bow:

No, more heaters or less will not heat more or less efficiently. 100 watt hours of electricity will always get you 100 watts hours of heat(When using resistive heaters)

The reason for using two heaters is redundancy if one fails and, if you have a relatively stagnant tank it will heat the water more evenly.

I would be careful running over sized heaters no matter how much you pay for them, the rule is 1w per liter, the reason for this rule is so when it jams on you don't boil your fish. Large heaters will also change the temperature quickly and more locally, neither are good for you fish.

Two heaters is aways going to be safer than one because of the redundancy.

The only heaters I've had fail are jagers. They all leak.

But, the one that failed didn't overheat the tank. It just collected a puddle of water in the bottom that shorted the nichrome wire. So it just sat there boiling the puddle in the bottom of the heater with the bottom couple coils.

i had 6 jebos fail the same way & as i bought them at the same time they failed within 4 or 6 weeks of each other. jagers are my choice now, they keep the temp closer to where they are set but they do cost more. there are quite a few auctions on TM with new heaters that are a bit cheaper.

Jagers are highly recommended, but some have had failures in thermostat. Stay away from Jebos and Masterpet, Aquaones although cheap but unreliable.

I might go with the Jager, although Ive read some reviews on Resun heaters....Apparently they're the Jager equivalent in China but about half the price. :roll:

I was thinking about getting this heater

Benefits being:

Weipro MX-1019

An excellent cost effective way to protect your aquarium from heater thermostat failiure.

By setting the temperature on this controller power to the heater will be cut off once a maximum set temperature has been reached.

Its Stainless Steel, so it wont shatter

And has a temp probe so I wont need to buy one

And it looks Techy :lol:

And will cost me $70NZD including shipping to buy the one on Ebay. Jager 300w heater on Trademe = $70 excluding shipping.

Anyone have one of these systems Weipro systems? Any issues??

Jagers are highly recommended, but some have had failures in thermostat. Stay away from Jebos and Masterpet, Aquaones although cheap but unreliable.

I might go with the Jager, although Ive read some reviews on Resun heaters....Apparently they're the Jager equivalent in China but about half the price. :roll:

I was thinking about getting this heater

Benefits being:

Its Stainless Steel, so it wont shatter

And has a temp probe so I wont need to buy one

And it looks Techy :lol:

And will cost me $70NZD including shipping to buy the one on Ebay. Jager 300w heater on Trademe = $70 excluding shipping.

Anyone have one of these systems Weipro systems? Any issues??

Is that $70nz with the heater? They're also available without the heater, I think. Temp controllers are pretty good though. You can use the cheapest, dirtiest heater with them relatively safely because you have two thermostats in the system.

Is that $70nz with the heater? They're also available without the heater, I think. Temp controllers are pretty good though. You can use the cheapest, dirtiest heater with them relatively safely because you have two thermostats in the system.

The listing says it comes with a 300w heater. Can have 2 heaters with a 1000w total load.

For $70 I was :o

The system itself is 20GBP or $45 NZD....the shipping is always a killer.

I had a 300w Juwel heater for a 300L Juwel tank.. when it jammed it boiled my fish slowly at 41 degrees... and that was in winter!

The total water volume in my tank and sump will be around the 250L mark....which is about 1.2w/pl of heating....And if Im to get the weipro system, the internal electronic computer system is designed not to power the heater past its set temp, in other words it cuts the power to the heater......in a normal heater the thermo controls the heat and turns on and off to accommodate, but if the thermo fails the power is still going through the heater......failed thermo = boiled fish for tea

:lol: Yes, but if it fails the heater wont be powered. Still electronics can fail, doesnt make this system 100% safe. But a lot more of a chance of it not boiling the fish. Although I like fish heads :lol:

I think the term you're looking for is failsafe vs faildangerous. :)