recipees for venison?

paul_r

I nailed 2 deer over the weekend, a young hind and a spiker. Quite stoked as i bought an ex ww1 p14 .303 off a mate, rifling is perfect and shoots like a dream. good to see the old girl can still take down deer.

Skinned and cut them up yesterday, now have so much meat i dont know what to do with. Eye fillets, back steaks and the good cuts of leg steak have been cut into steaks.

Necks have gone to the old mans for his boil up

All the rest of the meat is going into 8 salami, and remaining half will be mince and other half sausages.

Anyone got recipees for venison, all i really know is steaks dipped in coat n mix or flour & mixed herbs fried in butter with garlic and eaten hot in white bread with heaps of butter and make venison meat patties with eggs bread crumbs and seasoning and dipped in flour and fried

Thanks for any ideas

nice work, i heard the other day a good way is to cook it at the temp you intend to eat it for 48 hours. failing that roast it like a beef roast & should be moist & drain as much or all off the blood out to reduce the strength of the "gamie" flavour. on a bbq is best.

because of their age they are so soft to eat already, the steaks ive cooked up so far have been so soft my flatmate with no teeth can eat it no worries.

Cheers for the idea on roasts, think ill leave out one or two of the big chunks of meat and do a bit of experimenting.

cooking for 48 hours!!! may have to stick a bit in the crock pot and see how it comes out

take "skin"(silverside) off of a back steak:

1) then cover in olive mix (large jar of pitted olived blended to a fine paste with 100 ml of olive oil, garlic rosemary and thyme salt and pepper) allow to marinate in fridge for 24 hours at least

Seal all sides on hot plate then cook each side for ten mins Approx with lid of BBQ down

(20 mins total cook time) rest and serve with salad or seasonal veggies

2) lay rashers of streaky bacon out flat. place layers of mushrooms/peppers/onion on bacon and back steak on top of that roll until bacon encases steak then cook in hot BBQ with lid down 10-15 min approx turning once or twice

3) smear with whole grain mustard cook as above

HTH

Navarre

Good stuff mate where did ya nail them? You know theres some good sambar behind the hot pools near the paint ball thing they have their, some big stags barking last time we went up, I missed a shot on a young doe :oops:

I dont know how to cook it other then 1 curry, I dont eat a lot of meat and venison is waaay to rich for my liking, although I had some that had been smoked not so long ago and it was really good.

BBQ maranaide: 2 Tbsp tomato sauce, 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce, 1 tsp sugar, 1 Tbsp soy, garlic, (I like to add BBQ sauce too).

Cut meat into small strips - either bbq or fry quickly. (dont let it get tough)

With your sausages - we got lamb mixed in with our last lot, YUM!. Not strong like usual.

Up the waioeka gorge a family friend has some primo land up there. got the hind spotlighting, and went for a nice long walk saturday morning as the sun was coming up, come round a corner and there are 2 spikers and a 4 pointer approx 100m away, i took out a spiker and a mate got the 4 pointer.

These are some tasty ideas so far, making my mouth water.

Guess it helps that venison is my favourite meat, can eat it for breakfast lunch and dinner...well have been for last couple days :)

I sometimes play paintball at the field and have heard many stories of sambar up there, id like to go for a nice head in the next month or so, its only a 15 min drive from my place so should really get up there for a go.

Next on my list is some wild pork but a nice sambar head would be nice

Of course it will be your fault. It is ALWAYS the man's fault :lol:

Wild venison varies greatly in taste. The last bit I had was roasted and was delicious! Hunted, shot, and killed by a qualified butcher. My daughter was sick of eating wild venison so I swapped them for some chicken 8)