Fish in filters

Joshlikesfish

Today I was doing some casual maintenance in the tank with a friend over. After noticing my two newest female fighters missing, I uprooted a lot of plants to find no corpses. I then thought to myself "@q@#!@&*(#*&(&*^!@^#&@!&^%$&^@!%$^%!@&^* I PUT A CANISTER FILTER ON THE TANK!!!" I unplugged the filter, lifter it on top of the tank. I could make out the shapes of the two fighters through the green body of my EHIEM 2213. Man did i freak haha. I took off the top to find a black neon that had found its way up the side of the basket and into the filter wool. (I later had to kull it :( ) Then i found a Ram stuck between the cannister and the bucket :(

After rescuing the two females, the ram, and disposing of the half eaten platy and the platy with about 15cm in length intestines hanging out of it, I had learnt my lesson...

Hopefully my female fighters will be ok. Want to use them to spawn with as soon as my first batch of fry move into a bigger tank :D

Second hand filter doesn't have one -.-

I forgot to put a sponge over it. Which i now have, at the cost of a sponge filter...

Yeah, they kind of need one. Without it stuff like...You know...Fish getting sucked up happens.

i had a cf1000 with no flow & it was sucking air from somewhere 3 weeks ago. i figure the adult dubs must have knocked off the strainer from the intake pipe which i had put back on the day before i notice the flow had stopped. i turned the canister off & reprimed & restarted but no improvement. so i disconnected the intake pipe & opend the canister to find a empress juvie about 4cm in the bottom. i looked in the tap on the end of the intake pipe & it was blocked with something. when i disconnected the tap from the hose i discovered a 6cm empress juvie that had got stuck in the tap, it was just small enough to go into the intake & down the pipe to the tap but that was the end of the road & it was well dead by this stage.

ive had kuhlis end up swimming in the bottom of my cf 1200 even using the strainer , they were nice fat buggers too i dont know how they got through the strainer and logic tells me they cant have swum the wrong way up the lily outflow and thru the impellor because they were perfectly ok