Columnaris -How much salt to use?

oneeyedfrog

Last night I noticed a couple of neons in my community tank had white bumps near their mouths and one had a blotchy body. Tried to catch them but no luck ( 4ft planted).

This morning I found a dead diamond tetra. This afternoon one of the whiptails was pale and listless. Yesterday they seemed fine.

I managed to catch the affected neons and euth them.

Water tested ok . I did a 40% water change.

I am just guessing that it could be columnaris - reading up on it water changes, lowering the temp and salt were recommended.

How much salt do I use?

I have best results With Sea Salt, Formalin to the dose on the bottle & Methylene Blue to the dose on bottle All in the tank at the same time. Formalin & sea salt is a good mix I have found with no messy blue. It might take a while to clean it out. A few doses. Do not water change using straight from the tap (Water ) Have water change buckets or tanks with Chlorine etc gone from it etc. I have had no problems with this method.

Yeah, salt is good.

I do 1tsp per litre, that being 0.6g.

Increase the number of water changes, replacing the water each time.

Don't worry about 'aquarium salt' or similar expensive things. The additives are safe at the incredibly minuscule amounts that you are using.

Do check the salt tolerance of your fish.