New Plants

Fay

Beautiful planted tank. with that many plants, you may want to add in CO2 (did not see any CO2 diffuser).

the cheapest and effective way is to use Nutrafin DIY CO2. they work just as good as other expensive brand.

i bought extra and are selling it at $49 which is less than shop's price (lowest i heard is $59, some $80).

let me know if you wants it and i will add on the cost of P&P to you.

Cheers

Hi Fay,

Nice looking Tank. Question tho... In the last (bottom) pic the plant has brown spots on it. Do you know what causes it? How to avoid it? I had a similar spots on a similar looking plant I purchased from the LFS. The spots started to develop with 2-3 days of going in to my tank, eventually the leaf looked really bad so i cut the whole stem ( approx 6" long) and removed it.

I am now getting some nice new stems with new leaves ( about 6 weeks later) but would like to avoid it happening again.

Any ideas?? Anybody?

I'm not sure what plant you have, but mine was born with it's spots it is like a veragated plant but instead of yellow they are a beautifull redy colour fading out as the leaves get bigger I can see it growing every day and it only went in on wednesday night, I think it might turn out to be my favourite. I have ordered a book when it arrives they are sending me all the names of the plants I bought so I will put them up if anyone is interested.

DIVERJOHN

Maybe you could post up your plant so we can see it that might help.

livebearer-breederYes I am running one of those thankyou for the site, but I like the look of the nutrafins so I have ordered two.

Ideally a controlled one would be the best I think, but with what I've spent on saltwater lately it will have to wait.

Diverjohn it is common for plants to develop a brown algae as a new tank matures. Do what you have been, cut off the yucky leaves (highly technical fish keeping term :wink: ) as the new ones grow. The brown algae should eventually disappear over time once the plants establish themselves.

Plantman Frogs just pointed out to me that the bubble counter goes in your tank, does this control the co2, and have you got a photo of your tank so I can see if it looks ugle?

Sorry, i did not notice the second page.

yes, bubble counter is to establish some sort of control of the amount of CO2 going into your tank.

excess CO2 will kill your fish. i have a 300 litres tank with about hundreds of guppies (mostly baby). i am also using two sets of Nutrafin on the same tank. two guppies had died which i believe is due to old age as i do not detect any symptom on the fish.

Nutrafin is providing a extremely safe solution by eliminating all those gudget for expensive hobbist like Gas tank (2 or 3 litre), solenoid, gas gaudge, bubble counter, atomizer (or diffuser). those stuff could easily run between $300 to $500.

they have calculated that one set is enough to go for a 180 litre tank of water. if you follow this rule, you are very safe from having excess CO2.

i choose to run two set because i have used the expensive set before and i believe that my tank will need two sets as i have lots of plant in it. that is why i believe nutrafin is the most inexpensive set of all other DIY CO2.

using a total DIY gudget is fine but if the item are not properly sealed or the mixer content is not right. one will find themselve putting too much unnecessary time. but why not, no pain no gain.

therefore, bubble counter is essential for only those using gas tank and solenoid (which uses electricity for it to turn off and on). i have used those before and find the result is almost negligible comp[are to Nutrafin DIY CO2 set. and i can imagine the humogous saving i have. that is why i bought too many Nutrafin DIY CO2 and invite Planter tanker to use it at a lower cost compare to what you have to pay for in LFS.

i hope that answer your questions.

talking about Gold Fisf, does anyone knows of Gold fish that is Herbivorous?

my assumption is that, plant is also a food for all fish.

the reason the fish are eating it is because the plant is dying and has begin to soften which is a easy meal for the fish. there for proper lighting, CO2 and fertilizer is required.

All fishes also like to nibble at the plant for algae or something for food but a good healthy plant would be able to with stand those nibbling from the fish. this also give the impression that the fish is eating the plant which is not true.

my conclusion is that the fish is not the problem but the plant is not healthy but decaying.

can someone correct me if i am wrong?

i have heard and been told goldfish are herbivores but by the same token have been told by many that they ominvore i would side with ominvore due to behaviuors i have seen in ponds and with my own. It can be quite surprise how fast they react to insects on the water surface of their pond or tank. My fantail dispose of a resonable size spider in short time which got in their by accident. Goldfish seem to have the opion if it looks eatible it must be eatible. On the subject of plants they seem to target new growth or what i assume is new growth because it is brigth green colour most of the damage mind do is breaking the plants or pulling/knocking as they forage in the shingle