Stocking suggestions

Brennos

Hey everyone, I am finally happy(ish) with my tank layout, and time to stock it with something a little more exotic than guppies. The tank is a Aqua One AR620T at around 130l (- gravel and driftwood, but + 7L for the canister, so it should be at least 120l)

I was thinking:

2 x German Blue Rams

4 x Oto

4 x Panda cory

6 x Cardinal tetra

6 x Glass catfish

4 x Bristlenose Pleco (I have one adult, and 3 babies)

Obviously I wont add all of these at once, as it will overload the filtration, so my questions are:

1. How much time between adding fish, I'm guessing at least 2 weeks between each species?

2. Can anyone see any problems with this mix? www.aquaadvisor.com tells me its mildly overstock, but that's all. The tank is well planted and has a UV filter, and a cf1200, and I have a spare cf1000 I'm planning on adding if needed.

Blue rams can actually get quite large. You should see Jennifer's pair! Combined with the Cardinals, they will look great in the tank and will be the feature fish. The Cardinals are a schooling fish and are very beautiful. Otos and Pandas will clean up. I wouldn't put in the Bristlenoses, otherwise it will be catfish overload!

Problem is I have bristles in there now, and they are useless at cleaning, all my plants and gravel get covered in some form of carpet like algae. only started recently, after 6 months of almost no algae. Must be something in out rain water out here.

UPDATE:

Well I pulled the shist rock out of my tank, and replaced it with a plant, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echinodorus_uruguayensis, can anyone tell me its common name? the tank is looking very planted now, I need to trim down one of my Java ferns, and maybe try and plant it somewhere, instead of it floating in the back of the tank, but that's a job for another day.

I also purchased some FISH :)

2 Blue Rams (babies only 1 -1.5 cm long at this point)

12 Cardinal tetras (freaking expensive)

3 panda corys HFF albany only had 3 left :( so I'm off to roskill tomorrow to get 1 more to satisfy my need for even numbers of fish :)

The corys went straight to eating algae and crud off the bottom fo the tank yay, and the tetras are schooling nicely. the rams seem a little bemused by their new home though, and don't really move much, but they really are a nice looking fish. While I was there I saw a really nice blue gourami that I'd love to put in the tank, but I feel it might be a bad move. While I was at HFF, I picked up some Flourish excel, and some flourish to help my plants grow, and ill start dosing with those next week, once everyone is settled in, I moved my guppies to my other tank, so I'm not too worried about overloading the filtration, hence why I added them all at once. (tank has been up and running for over 6 months with this external canister, which had mature media in it when I first installed it so should be fine)

Uruguayensis is possibly the most beautiful sword plant there is that is purely green in colour. It's just called uruguayensis sword plant.

How big is this plant as it is not particularly easy to grow? Do you have any pics? :D

Quite big. Apparently its hard to get at this size for the amount I paid. but I put that down to sales technique from hff staff.

pics coming soon, camera is charging lol.

sales technique from hff staff.

maybe.. but the plant is not cheap. I have paid $20 for a specimen that was only 6cm high with about 8-10 leaves... and that was wholesale.

worth everypenny though, but at the time I didn't know how to grow it. It does best under a daylight spectrum light and not any thing very fancy. High light is important too.

maybe.. but the plant is not cheap. I have paid $20 for a specimen that was only 6cm high with about 8-10 leaves... and that was wholesale.

worth every penny though, but at the time I didn't know how to grow it. It does best under a daylight spectrum light and not any thing very fancy. High light is important too.

I paid $22 for leaves around 15 cm at their longest, and 3-4 cm at their shortest, and has around 30 leaves, and the roots were about 12 cm long. pics to follow.

udydbp4l.jpg

vuxhjds5.jpg

guj0b42r.jpg

l3hxgd4b.jpg

b31ohlrf.jpg

5zykjnyy.jpg

w10okcnh.jpg

The circled java is what I need to prune, and move to another tank, currently its just floating where it is, but its growing like a weed, so I need to do something. Hey p44, can you id any of my plants, so I can research their care easier?

yeap the foreground plant is possibly s. microfolia. If it gets very large it is s. subulata, but judging by the colour i would say microfolia.

Apart from that its just java fern and the Uruguayensis.

That circled Java fern looks beautiful where it is so I wouldn't crop it unless it is branching out and actually causing a mess.

I love 620/Ts. They are such a neat tank

That circled Java fern looks beautiful where it is so I wouldn't crop it unless it is branching out and actually causing a mess.

I love 620/Ts. They are such a neat tank

To me, it looks too "busy" too much in one spot. Might try and anchor it to the bottom of the driftwood, see it that makes it blend in better. I have to crop a little, as I want to get some java in the other tank on the driftwood.