first sps

Brianemone

Hydnophora are easy to keep, but grow quickly and are really aggressive. They send out long streamers to kill surrounding corals. Probably not the best for a small tank.

Something like a branching montipora would be good. They are not as aggressive. Yet relatively hardy, and don't mind lower light.

Layton

lights not really an issue as the place i have set out for sps in my tank is faily high up and is right under the 150W mh, how long are the sweepers on Hydrophora? i could always keep it a little further away from the others,

are all monti's the same?? or are the branching easier to keep than the scrolling or encrusting?

I have frags for about 6-10 different Acropora for sale $25ea. I also have several montiporas for sale $25ea and some hynophora (spelling?) $25ea.

Layton is right, hynophora seems to be fairly easy, grows well. However it kills, and it kills quickly. So watch what you sit it next too and what it can fall onto.

The montipora caracornia (I think) is easy, but I have sold all mine. Also montipora digita seems easy, I have 2 sorts, brown/purple and red/orange $25ea.

Stone corals don't seem to be overly difficult to keep, however they do require 'all the sh#t'. Make sure your ready, as tanks with high nutrients, bad flow, flucuating water params and poor lighting are death for these corals. However if you have a tank ready for them, they don't seem overly difficult. I have yet to loose one to anything other than otehr corals. YMMV.

Pie

I have a question about hydnophora, I have one which I've had for maybe 2 years, always in close proximity to other corals, often an inch or so, and it's never stung anything.

But I've heard a lot about the power of these things, I'm wondering if perhaps there are some less aggresive than others? Anybody else had any thoughts on that?

Or maybe it's just a matter of time and I'll find something wiped out?

Not the pic I was looking for, but this shows a hydno attack:

Hydnophora_exesaMesenterialFilaments.jpg

I remember seeing another pic showing a coral almost a 12" away being attacked. Looked like a net gun had be shot from the hydno.

While finding this pic, i learned something that I didn't know. Hydnophora's don't actually produce sweepers like brains, and euphillias do. The strands are actually mesenterial filaments, which are the digestive organs in corals. So hydno's spill their guts to attack and eat other corals. No wonder they kill so quickly!

Layton

is this the monti capricornis that you where advising against iduncan??

Yip, thats it. I only warned against it because it grows so quickly (for a small tank), and can drop your calcium and alkalinity so fast. It's a great coral for a bigger tank, it's very hardy and grows fast.

Layton

WASP - I too have these corals in close proximity of other corals and never had a problem, but there is so much written about this coral killing things as per Laytons pictures its hard to argue with it. I suspect so far i've just been lucky.

Reef - He was asking for frags, I let him know of one soruce he can get some. I'd be VERY keen on some of those $10 frags. How many different species you have for sale like this? I would like to grab 2 of each species. What say you?

Pie

I am surprised that you want frags steve when you have a shipment coming in next week. and by going on all your past post all coral will be about $25 anyway. why buy a frag for $10 when you can buy a whole colony for $25 from stev/nick.

just to remind you what you and nick said.

Yellow tangs..NZ$56

Royal Gramma..NZ$42

Clowns..NZ$36

Blue tangs..NZ$42

The list goes on and one, I am just glad my tank is full and growing like mad so I can help the hobby out in NZ with realistically priced stock/frags

check out the common fish, eg six lie wrasse, clownfish,copperband, purple firefish,

At our current exchange rate a six line would RETAIL at $25 NZD.

was it smoke& mirrors??