Protomelas sp. "Steveni Taiwan"

trophy_malaw

Been offered a group of these guys! (1m,3f) they look like awsome fish... old age problem... have to many tanks already haha...

What do you guys think?? should i get them? definitly leaning towards yes cause they seem to be rare? and to be honest beautiful :roll: Plus if anyone knows, what they would be suited to tank up with?

Ptaiwanreef2.jpg

If you like them then go for it :) I like them and they aren't that common in NZ at the moment (the wholesaler still has them though so they can't be that rare) but actually prefer the empresses in terms of colour etc..

As far as tank mates go here is a good article http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/p_steveni.php it seems to recommend keeping them with smaller less aggressive tank mates so they can be fully happy. OF course like when breeding any african cichlids you would have to have a reasonably sized species tank to breed them in to avoid any cross breeding, and it sounds like these guys spook quite easily too.

I have one juvi male

DSC_0197.jpg

He's growing up in 600ltr male tank with a selection of Haps/peacocks in this tank.

many are larger than him including 3 Red empress young males.

Happy as larry

DSC_0250.jpg

I say go for it.

As ryan as said they are still available off the list but i'd say you will have buyers if you produce fry.

Yeah dolphins bottom left.

4 of them courtesy of Messrs 'Livingart'

New addition and have blended in well.

Hungry fish make for good photo eh!

Yes tank getting there. Still adding subtracting and looking forward to the taiwan reef getting bigger.

Might be keen for more so hope you get that group and breed them 'Trophy'