Fiordland

I was about to go to sleep and, after a last zapping, there was a baby takahe on screen, among phormiums... Well... I scratched my head... My sleepy brain tells to my left eye to open up a little wide, just for checking if it could be something about NZ. Bingo !

So I said to myself it's time NOT to go to sleep.

I just saw by chance a documentary on french tv about Fiordland.

homer-wouhou-2b385e.jpg

Waow 8 )))

So beautiful it seems unreal...

Especially this temperest forest with some incredible trees, ferns, treeferns, moss... There's a walk through the park I forgot its name. A botanist was studying an old tree (about 800-1000 years old but not a kauri. It has a red trunk) and he said those kind of very old trees are a complete ecosystem. Very impressive... I learnt nothofagus grows there, which is one of my favourite tree. Humboldt falls are amazing. And so clear water streams and lakes.

Mates, your country is just fa-bu-lous...

Well, this time, I'm gonna go to sleep (it's now 6:30am down there ;) )

Milford, Routeburn, and Kepler are the main walking tracks in Fiordland, Milford is prolly the most popular.

Could the old Tree with the red trunk be a Rimu?, Totara?

Fiordland is amazing, unfortunately I've never been in the South Island, one day hopefully.

PS, when you posted it was 4.36pm on Sunday afternoon

Mates, your country is just fa-bu-lous...

Parts of it at least, its not all like that.. ;)

It is a stunning place though, I went down there when I was about 12 for scouts, it seemed like a completely different country to the top half of the North Island that I was used to seeing. Walking the Milford Track is on my "must do" list.

Fiordland is my backyard heheh. Been there quite a few times. If you go to school in Southland, chances are you'll go on a school camp at Deep Cove. Best school camp ever! The big trees could be Totara. In the Lilburn Valley area there is what is known as Big Totora Walk where you can walk through the bush through a small forest of totara trees which are over 1000 years old. They are quite impressive.

Milford, Routeburn, and Kepler are the main walking tracks in Fiordland, Milford is prolly the most popular.

Could the old Tree with the red trunk be a Rimu?, Totara?

Yes, that's it ! Totara. Thanks :)

Endemic to New Zealand. What a beautiful tree.

PS, when you posted it was 4.36pm on Sunday afternoon

lol yeah I saw it when I posted last night. And we're on the same planet ;)

The documentary was about Hollyford track :)

They say about Fjordlands it's rainy 2 times per week : the 3 first days and the four last days lol :lol:

They were talking about a lake where there's an electrical generating station. Eels couldn't go to sea anymore 'cause of turbines. So they fish them from the lake to the ocean. The fisher man explained eels could live for a long time and they have to select them, youngers staying in the lake.

And he showed one of them, saying : "This one is probably 80 years old. It means nothing. but when you say to yourself she was about 10 years old during the 2nd world war, it's really amazing..."

Yep :o

We are very lucky in NZ to have so many varying landscapes.

Oh yes, I do agree !

You know, some years ago, I said to myself one day I must go to Norway because I absolutly wanted to see both things : fjords and auroras borealis. And so what ? Both of them can be seen in NZ. Fjords in the west coast and aurora australis in the Southands. I've been told it's possible to see it in Dunedin or Invercargill. True ?

And as you say, you have so many varying landscapes and fascinating ecosystems. When I heard about New Zealand and starting to read a lot about it, I was very (pleasantly) surprised, astounded by the richness of your country : moutain lakes, alps, volcanic areas, native temperest forests, kind of mediterranean climate, beautiful beaches...

All the things I planned to see one day or another, in the same one country. Couldn't believe that ! I just stayed breathless, mouth open and eyes out of my head, like in a Tex Avery's cartoon ;)

Wow :o

It never ceases to amaze me how different the South Island is, scenicly, to the North - and how many North Islanders have no idea :lol:

its is correct Caryl

As an Aucklander, it also amazes me how visitors from NZ to Auckland only talk about the traffic here

I guess that we all only compare life somewhere else with what we concieve to be normal where we live

Personally, I have been to every part of the South Island except Dunedin to Christchurch and every part of the North Island including the Three Kings

I have never been to Stuart Island or the Chathams but have had 2 trips to Mana cancelled due to weather

I love Auckland and enjoy Coromandel as well as the rest of NZ

I watched 'Under the mountain' yesterday and was surprised at just how nice some of the spots right in the middle of Auckland are, and how much I don't know about this Country. For instance I had no idea there was a lake in Auckland :oops:

its is correct Caryl

As an Aucklander, it also amazes me how visitors from NZ to Auckland only talk about the traffic here

I guess that we all only compare life somewhere else with what we concieve to be normal where we live

Personally, I have been to every part of the South Island except Dunedin to Christchurch and every part of the North Island including the Three Kings

I have never been to Stuart Island or the Chathams but have had 2 trips to Mana cancelled due to weather

I love Auckland and enjoy Coromandel as well as the rest of NZ

For instance I had no idea there was a lake in Auckland :oops:

(several)

similar to Huntly

Not the nicest little town to drive through but the lake out the back is great

To me, I love Shannon yet a lot dont even hesitate

Hom many people drive past the Pancake rock on the WestCoast without looking?

Stay inside on the booze while traveling through the sounds on the way to Picton or even looking at a map/chart of the area to see how complex the area is

Monganui in the north with the volcanic chimneys and huge valleys

We could go on for ages

As the advrts say "Don't leave home 'til you've seen the country"

We too have been all over NZ, except the smaller outer islands. Very diverse and most areas have something of interest.

In Milford you can go on a boat trip out to the underwater laboratory. A staircase then leads you underwater where you can see rare black coral and all sorts of marine life. You then get taken to the power station and a bus drives you downwards in a spiral until you are 8km underground at the heart of the operations.

Fiordland is a rainforest so you must expect it to be a little wet. It actually looks better on a wet day than dry as all the waterfalls are running. The day we went on the boat was great as it was dry going out but wet coming back so we saw everything in both states. It is amazing how fast the waterfalls start!

I don't think we can see the aurora too often or too well from the bottom of the south but it does happen on occasion.

I agree with all above statements. I used to do a fair bit of hunting and tramping back when i had the time. There are some truely beautiful places hidden in the bush that are literally right on our back door step. I just wish I had the time these days to just pack up and go bush again.

On another note, I just spent the weekend in Rotorua. Visited the thermal areas on sides of the roads and down back roads. They were just as good as the tourist places where you pay an arm and a leg to visit.

We are lucky to live in this country in my opinion. Its just that too many people are blind to what we have.

So Deepsound, when are you coming down to visit this country? Lol