Apisto. agassizi var. Double Red spawn

phoenix44

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just been watching my pair hovering up some T-bar fry I added. The live food is great for conditioning but they go ballistic at each other afterwards.

The only time they have not tried to kill each other- reminds why i stopped keeping apistos.

I have heart in mouth every morning before i see them both -ALIVE.

I use Java moss that is grubby to feed my T bars and let them hide in so they can be big enough to eat :o

Still can't get colouration in my male like yours though 'P' :oops:

I used JBL discus food for the adults. No special attention, and the odd bit of blood worms everytime I can be bothered getting a tiny bit from the freezer for them.

Seriously, they just breed. No BB tank, nothing. The tank is planted, with CO2 and the babies only ate decap brine shrimp.

When they first lost their egg sac the only thing I fed them was liquifry because it was easy and readily available. No messing about either.

I use a syringe to feed them and found the moss especially valuable because they would eat detritus off it and hid in it perfectly.

The tank got its first water change ever when algae started kicking in. :lol:

Maybe im lucky in that the males would usually dominate the female until the eggs were laid and fertilised, and then the females chased off the males.

The mother of these fish was ok with the male being in the tank after the eggs were laid, but i took him out any how.

The first female nearly killed the first male who used to hide vertically behind the heater / filter. :o

PS-

Pots must be the secret ingredient. :lol:

hmm.. I can recommend glosso :D

The mother would force the babies to hide under the glosso 'canopy'.

But any thing that provides cover really. Im going to try again - but this time in a tank with crypts.

Remember that plants and gravel make them a pain to feed, and the excess food rots and makes algae grow. but i suffer from couldncarelessatisis :o :lol: so it didn't bother me.

The mother did a great job taking care of the babies. she would clean them, help them get unstuck and take them to and from cover. No way I could do that. She was like a little shepherd and they were her sheep :D

Hopefully one day, they will make good parents too.

I counted 9 babies in total which makes sense because there were 10 with the mother, and when I removed her a week -10 days ago I lost one baby.

So one short of registering the breeding but oh well. Maybe my first registration can be L46 :lol:

DSC02591Small.jpg

Friend also picked up 3 baby female GBRs for me. They are uber cute and have made the babies come out more.

DSC02590Small.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Pair are fine. Separated now as they were both recovering from injuries.

Need another tank to breed them again in but cant really set up another tank at the moment.

Have 2 females and 8 males from this batch; so when they are bigger ill sell some males and keep the females to breed again. I want to see what the colours will be like.

Adult agasazzi were like $98 for the pair.

Apistogramma "Steel Blue" are just as nice as agassizii, and you can buy them from $20-30 a pair. Trifasciata are nicer than steel blues, and they're about $50 a pair. Eunotus are realitavely cheap too, and they're really nice. Macmasteri aren't too expensive either, but they don't look very good. They have quite muddy colouration.

Laetacara curviceps, or Dwarf Flags, are nicer looking than some Apistos, and grow to about 8cm, and you can get good-quality fish for as little as $10 a pair!