Is Optiwhite Glass availible in NZ?

Joe

Just want to know if it's availible, pricing, where to get it from and how safe it is (like for example toughened glass shatters all over if it only has one or two chips or whatever, and standard glass does not and is more safe).

Joe

Hi Joe,

My local LFS in London used to have a display optiwhite tank, soooooo nice. The downside is they come with a huge price tag. For example a standard 60x30x30 was about 30 quid, the same size tank made of optiwhite was more like 120 quid.

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to import an optiwhite or get one custom made here, but at a guess... I would say at least $800nz for a 60x30x30 :o

Then again......I'm often wrong :wink:

I found this to show the price difference

On the right is starfire and left is normal. Just some quick 10mp photo's, a decent photographer would show the difference better.

Cost;

Starfire- $45(due to cutting costs)

Normal- $20

+ a box of corona for a friend who picked the tanks up for me(but i got a ride in his new WRX spec C)

Conclusion- Im glad i went starfire as its much clearer(basically going to be a photo tank). Just looking at the starfire tank its looks much clearer and there is no green tinge on the edges of the glass.

Thanks to Greg from Tanks2u for making them for me

th_IMG_0335.jpg

th_IMG_0336.jpg

th_IMG_0337.jpg

Been drooling over the overseas planted tank again Joe?

Yep :lol: I still can't get over this -

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/foru ... -45-a.html

Browse through the whole thread. It's just amazing. I'm a HUGE fan of Luis Moniz's work! I wanted to try something like this when I rescaped my tank, but didn't take enough care and it turned to custard. I was thinking of another idea, but I still just love this tank. So I am going of having another attemp, but this time being far more careful and taking my time, and I want the right equiptment too.

I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to import an optiwhite or get one custom made here, but at a guess... I would say at least $800nz for a 60x30x30

Then again......I'm often wrong

I'm thinking of a tank that's 90x45x50cm! I like the length and width of Luis Moniz's tank, but I reckon that a higher tank would look better - hence 50cm (and it would hold more water too! = more fish!)

I'm thinking of a tank that's 90x45x50cm! I like the length and width of Luis Moniz's tank, but I reckon that a higher tank would look better - hence 50cm

Decided 50cm was too high after I had lots of trouble scoping out gravel in my current tank on Saturday! Something shorter would be better for me then, as my arms are short and puny!

I was looking at the ADA site again, and drooling over their cool products! I was looking at the tanks, and found out something cool - they don't have silicone joining the glass together. It's just fused in some way, but the corners/edges aren't round. Can you get that sort of stuff in NZ? If not, how much would it cost to order? That's what I was thinking of doing. I'm looking at the 90x45x45cm tank. It's the ADA Cube Garden Clear:

http://www.adana.com.my/products/aquarium_tank.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder if you can get the low iron glass in curved for bowfront anywherei n NZ. Wish I didn't like bowfront tanks so much, then I could utilise my work and see if I can get low iron glass at a good price, I know we can't even get curved glass through my work though so definitely not low iron curved glass from them!

Wonder if you can get the low iron glass in curved for bowfront anywherei n NZ. Wish I didn't like bowfront tanks so much, then I could utilise my work and see if I can get low iron glass at a good price, I know we can't even get curved glass through my work though so definitely not low iron curved glass from them!

You can do anything, but whats your budget?

If you want a custom one off curved you should be looking at acrylic