Golden Rams!

Vervo

Picked up two Golden Rams today,

Didnt even know about them! Walked into the fish store and had to have some :)

Owned Blue Rams before, the personality on them is amazing!

Pictures at my blog (link in forum signature)

Also my glass lilly pipes arrived!!

They are lovely fish but I have had no luck keeping them or blue rams (both nz bred) for that matter, alive. Good luck and keep us posted on how you are going.

i reckon you should give this batch a go. I have 4 VT blue rams, and they are just as hardy as any other fish.

Ok so, the boy died :(

Water conditions perfect. No swing in pH over .2

No swing in temp change, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 10, pH 6.6, temp 27 degrees c

He was fine for 3 days then looked real paniced , and hour later he was dead :<

Not a clue what happened.

The other Ram is swimming around happily. They did fight each other either.

:o

Its the curse I tell you.. lol

Sorry that doesn't help, but yeah that is what happened to all my blue/gold rams and I still have no idea what happened, I even treated them with every drug I could think of (obviously not at once) to try and alleviate it. Tried different water, tried daily water changes nothing worked and just lost every blue/gold ram I have ever tried.

could it be that you all are getting multiple males? I thought rams liked male/female pairs.

"Most fish can be kept as tank mates as long they are not extremely aggressive fish or fish that are big enough to eat them. Other male dwarf cichlids shouldn't be kept with them unless the tank exceeds [180L]. If the tank is less than [135L] it won't be a good idea to have more than one male ram as there may be territorial disputes."

"Introduction to an established tank is essential as they are likely to die if the water is not 'old' enough."

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/blue-ram-cichlid.htm

so didnt get a chance to get any over the weekend :(

Vervo it is possible he was stressed out - moving and then establishing territory. The fighting can add to this stress, even if you dont see them fighting or chasing each other they do, even at night. Mine fight and stress each other out about 50% of the time, the rest of the time they get on well. Though at one stage he was chasing her way too much for my liking so i changed the tank around, there are now loads of floating fern and big tall rocks that divide teh tank up into 3 kinda, also added 2 chilled out guppies. Now when he in the mood to be a big meanie he only chases her past the rock then leaves her, before he would chase her all over the tank. I never check water parameters other than temperature. Luckily enough the tank water is alwasy very acidic any time i have tested it so now i dont bother. I also do not use Melafix on them - I have found that they dont really respond to it, dunno why! Also found it made mine eat less, not sure if this is cos the smell made it difficult for them to smell the actual food??? As they would swim up to the floating or sinking food (due to the movement) and then get to it and not eat it - when they had before!

Nways Vervo - hope your girl survives :) They are great little fish full of personality!

could it be that you all are getting multiple males? I thought rams liked male/female pairs.

"Most fish can be kept as tank mates as long they are not extremely aggressive fish or fish that are big enough to eat them. Other male dwarf cichlids shouldn't be kept with them unless the tank exceeds [180L]. If the tank is less than [135L] it won't be a good idea to have more than one male ram as there may be territorial disputes."

"Introduction to an established tank is essential as they are likely to die if the water is not 'old' enough."

http://www.fishlore.com/aquariummagazine/dec07/blue-ram-cichlid.htm

Yea our tank water is well established and no unfriendly tank mates. Only clown loaches which could be annoying to the ram sometimes.

so didnt get a chance to get any over the weekend :(

Vervo it is possible he was stressed out - moving and then establishing territory. The fighting can add to this stress, even if you dont see them fighting or chasing each other they do, even at night. Mine fight and stress each other out about 50% of the time, the rest of the time they get on well. Though at one stage he was chasing her way too much for my liking so i changed the tank around, there are now loads of floating fern and big tall rocks that divide teh tank up into 3 kinda, also added 2 chilled out guppies. Now when he in the mood to be a big meanie he only chases her past the rock then leaves her, before he would chase her all over the tank. I never check water parameters other than temperature. Luckily enough the tank water is alwasy very acidic any time i have tested it so now i dont bother. I also do not use Melafix on them - I have found that they dont really respond to it, dunno why! Also found it made mine eat less, not sure if this is cos the smell made it difficult for them to smell the actual food??? As they would swim up to the floating or sinking food (due to the movement) and then get to it and not eat it - when they had before!

Nways Vervo - hope your girl survives :) They are great little fish full of personality!

Well the two didnt seem to fight at all, they were very happy hanging around each other.

Anyways the female seems real happy still, im thinking about getting a blue ram for her. Ive herd if they bread you can get gold and blue ones (not a mixx)

Mine were definite pairs but unfortunately it didn't help them. There are people in NZ who have no trouble breeding and raising theirs but I don't know what the secret it. Mine developed a single white pimple looking spot on the head right between the eyes before they died. I haven't tried again with blue or golds but my bolivian rams spawn like there is no tomorrow!

Good luck with your girl.