4x4 Question

Vinnie

I'm looking at buying a 4x4 soon to replace my car. I've been told Toyota and Nissan are the best way to go.

Now other than low k's, and the normal stuff to look for, is there anything I should keep my eyes out for? Any ideas and thoughts on what to look for?

It will be used for both 4x4'n and round town driving

shorter wheel base means it will be better off road. For offroad I find turbo harder to get the right amount of power to the wheels, its either all or nothing. Manual is better too but it depends on your experience. I would tend to look at a hi-lux surf if I was you. You get the best of both worlds, they handle well offroad and onroad, reliable and well made, parts are easy to come by, comfortable interior but hard wearing inside and out. I drive a mitsi l200 2.4 t 4x4 dcab. Love the extra cab space but long wheel base and turbo make it a little challenging offroad. Hi-lux depending on the year, you should be able to pick a good one up relatively cheaply if you shop around.

HTH

Budget is around $5000. Thanks for all the info so far.

I know nothing about cars or what turbo is exactly, but I have heard it makes insurance more expensive.

That is more so for cars from what I've been told and owned in the pass, but over all that doesn't bother me if it cost a bit more :D

I don't know if turbo 4WD will cost you alot more in insurance it is not like it is a performance car..

For $5k you should get something good but you might have to hunt out something with a few k's but has been well maintained had a recondition etc..

I had a nissan terrrano when i 1st moved back to nz, great car (come in 2 or 4 door) - comfy on road - towed well - auto/turbo - used 4wd every weekend when moving horses about at dads. Never missed a beat.

Now own a toyota hilux dbl cab - still great car - nothing flash inside (mines a 6 seatr) tows the float ok (manual/non turbo)- hubby uses the 4wd for hunting and has had a few hairy moments but truck pulled thru.

only problem i'd say is the on-road cost for a diesel. $400+ for rego and then road user kms.

insurance is the same - what ever you paid for it or what they have it's value.

If $5000 is your budget you are not going to find anything with low ks. :-?

We have had Isuzu Bighorn and Wizard, Dihatsu Rocky, Nissan Terrano and Kia Sorento. All diesel except the Rocky and all had low ratio box which is essential for Grant's use. Have to be short wheel based too as he has tight corners to get around!

All similar cost to run but a lot depends on what you are doing with it. As Grant does large distances diesel is the best option for him. If you aren't doing a lot of running consider petrol versions as they are often cheaper to buy, which will more than make up for the slightly dearer running costs.

Don't forget a diesel is going to cost you more than 4c/km just for road user charges alone. This means a small efficient diesel can cost more that the petrol equivalent, especially when you take in the more expensive maintenance.

The Suzuki Vitaras are very good vehicles and there's lots around at all different price levels. Toyotas tend to cost a lot more just because they are Toyotas (and that is why we haven't owned one).

Don't write-off automatics. Grant's 4WDs are all auto (medical reasons) now and, if he had a choice, he would still go for an auto. Although the earlier ones don't have such good engine braking through the auto gearbox the newer ones are excellent.

He likes his Kia but is finding the vehicle is a little low.

Another popular choice could be a Mitsubishi Challenger. Grant doesn't like utes as they don't suit what he does. He needs a closed, secure vehicle with the option of folding the seats for a longer load bay.

A surprising number of 4WD vehicles do not allow chains to be fitted on the front wheels so if you need to use chains, check that first! eg. the latest Toyota and Mazda/Ford utes can't have chains fitted on the front wheels!!