Keeping trout?!

CodKing

I do my share with the possums, and their fur at least makes it worth while. I would love to be able to catch more trout, but at the moment I pay for those over priced licenses and dont catch any. Been doing it for 6 years now, not one trout. I think im justified to throw out a piece of cheese lol, though I could never do it.

I do my share with the possums, and their fur at least makes it worth while. I would love to be able to catch more trout, but at the moment I pay for those over priced licenses and dont catch any. Been doing it for 6 years now, not one trout. I think im justified to throw out a piece of cheese lol, though I could never do it.

might be better to pay for fishing lessons :D

Hahaha the fishing is fine, its my luck! I used to catch every time I went out, I think I used up all my luck as a kid. I still get plenty of snapper off the beach so its not too bad lol, though i would love some smoked rainbow trout or a nice pan fried brown.

Some places you're still allowed to use a worm, if you just wanna land one that's a good option! Big fat and wriggly wins the day!

you do know how to fly fish?

Yup, been at it for well over 20 years now haha. Though my rod is getting a little old, it was my grandfathers when he was young. Been using it for salt water fly fishing lately, landed a nice kingi.

Trout are not easy to keep. They need clean, cold, highly oxygenated water. I kept a half dozen baby ones in a goldfish pond for 2 years and they hardly grew at all. We put a couple of dozen (rescued from a dried up water race) into an oxidation pond full of daphnia and they only lasted a couple of years as well.

Really, killing of introduced species should be encouraged, maybe they should even pay you a token amount per head...

Does this include the fish we keep in our tanks and ponds? :D:o Before you answer 'no', have a think about the Carp in the Waikato, Gambusia in Lake Rotorua, Goldfish in the Lower Selwyn River, and the various 'aquarium' plants choking some of our waterways.

I know your post was probably tongue-in-cheek, but the issues above were all caused illegally/accidentally, and 'we' (keepers of introduced organisms) are not above reproach.

Trout, also, were introduced into New Zealand for someones enjoyment.

Cheers

Does this include the fish we keep in our tanks and ponds? :D:o Before you answer 'no', have a think about the Carp in the Waikato, Gambusia in Lake Rotorua, Goldfish in the Lower Selwyn River, and the various 'aquarium' plants choking some of our waterways.

I know your post was probably tongue-in-cheek, but the issues above were all caused illegally/accidentally, and 'we' (keepers of introduced organisms) are not above reproach.

Trout, also, were introduced into New Zealand for someones enjoyment.

Cheers

If the fish in our tanks and ponds escape into the wild, yes, I think they should be killed. Along with dogs, cats, rats, pigs, deer, sheep, cows...

Absolutely.

And the people moaning about the species that we cannot get in NZ should take a close look at all these deliberate and accidental introduced pests and then start noticing all the unique species that we have that the rest of the world can't get.

I think the goldfish in the lower selwyn are rudd

Hi Alan,

it was some years ago I saw them (I don't fish the Selwyn much these days due to the poor water quality - more of a threat to our native fish than trout, oh, and water abstraction of course), but I seem to recall many different shapes, colours and sizes of the 'Goldfish' type fish. Maybe they were Rudd? Do they have significant colour variation?

Must go and have another look once this weather clears up.

cheers

I'm stoked we have Trout and Salmon here :bounce: . They are good to eat and great to catch . Some natives may have suffered but if you can look at the big picture they are worth more to the people of NZ then a few inga and bullys. Not to say our native fish should not be protected and valued. Trout and Salmon have there place here as do Deer,Thar,Chamios and Pigs. They just need to be managed.

I kept Trout with goldfish when I was a kid they grew fast and killed some of the goldfish so I took hem back to the creek and let them go.

I'm stoked we have Trout and Salmon here :bounce: . They are good to eat and great to catch . Some natives may have suffered but if you can look at the big picture they are worth more to the people of NZ then a few inga and bullys. Not to say our native fish should not be protected and valued. Trout and Salmon have there place here as do Deer,Thar,Chamios and Pigs. They just need to be managed.

I kept Trout with goldfish when I was a kid they grew fast and killed some of the goldfish so I took hem back to the creek and let them go.

Couldn't agree more! :D:D Except perhaps the bit about Trout and Salmon being worth more than 'a few inga (sp.) and bullys'. Maybe financially, but there are values other than financial ones that are as, or more, important than $ (I wish our current Government would realise that).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I started a bit of a debate here!

I like trout, I don't know too much about NZ biodiversity when it comes to fish. I just know about catching and eating and we used to catch 'cock-a-billies' as kids. Just did first year Bio at UC and am starting to see how cool it all was..... and some parts still are!

Now, as an intelligent species we can see how introduced species effect ecosystems, from what I understand it's really about preventing new arrivals, IDing new entrants as quickly as possible, analyse and manage likely outcomes.

Well thats my input :)

I just cracked the bottom of my main tank :/ Fishies having quality bucket time