Pot Belly Thread

jc254

Well I have done allot of reading now and have got a few books on marines and seahorses.

I have emailed Greg the tank maker up in Auckland for a tank 90Long 90High 50Wide. This gives me 405 liters to play with plus the 60 liters for the 2ft sump giving me 465 Liters.

I have sorted a chiller for the tank (aqua one cc-25) to keep the tank around 20 degrees. I still have a few questions. The Tank will be to cold for any form of coral so what type of lighting system would i need to grow some algae? What type of marine plants are available in NZ?

I want to keep four to six pots, so would this tank be big enough for them fully grown? What type of filtration should i be looking at and how much Live Rock do i need?

Can I keep any other fish/inverts with them or would the tank be too cold?

puttputt up north has been doing a log on growing local coldwater plants

here

http://www.reefkeepers.co.nz/forum/view ... f=10&t=156

i think you will have to log on to see it though

also another thread on lighting he uses

at 90cm high it will be hard to reach the bottom if needed

you could get away with 70cm high

Yeah I would chop it down a bit too just to get that safety factor in, I have had a tank 80cm deep before and it was dammed near impossible to work in.. I didn't even bother setting up the 90cm deep 4fters I had (although a guy did buy them for his seahorses funny enough) as they were just too deep.

You would need alot of lighting to grow plants in a tank that deep :)

Sorry that safety factor article means nothing without the explanation http://www.fnzas.org.nz/index.php?PG=glass1 it is very important because when tanks go they do go in a great hurry and glass that thick will go straight through you or anyone who gets in its way..

Ill have to check with the tank maker to make sure he is correct on his measurments, dont want anyone getting hurt or the tank breaking and loosing my horses.

I think i might keep the 90 high so far as i like the depth, and the deeper the better. When I get more experience I plan to set-up a nice deep coral tank so exp with deep tanks would be a good way to go.

What type of filter would i need for this? Can i use Live Rock and a refugium for most of my filtration and a small skimmer? What would you recommend?

What type of filter would i need for this? Can i use Live Rock and a refugium for most of my filtration and a small skimmer? What would you recommend?

yes that would be OK, maybe add a small powerhead to help move tank water in that depth

horses don't do well in too strong a constant flow

i have used tropical liverock in coldwater without any issues, except the introduction of aiptasia

a pest anenome

when you come to setup i have plenty of liverock from coldwater setup

also a few young abdominalis at about 12cm