Ideas for river tank set up

oscnz

Hay guys Im looking at putting togeather a high flow river tank and stocking it with hillstream loaches and the like I was just wondering if i set up a pair of external filters at one end with the pick up at the other with the substrate on a decline to the pick up end would it create enough flow for the little guys or should i look at something bigger?

Filters would normally be too low flow to do what you want.

I recommend this:

Take your total tank volume in litres, multiply it by 30. The result is the number of litres an hour flow you wan MINIMUM. Divide this across several pumps to distribute flow more evenly.

Remember if you do the system in the link above, every elbow and length of plastic slows down the water and increases motor wear, due to friction or having to bend the flow.

I had a 4ft (220lt) tank set up for a river flow. It had two 3500L/h pumps in it, giving a combined flow of 7000L/h. The fish dealt with it easily, they could have coped with much much more! Mine was for native torrentfish, bluegill bullies and shortjaw kokopu. Was awesome but had a tank disaster last year and it is no longer set up :(

I know :P same rule generally works for fast-water species. It attempts to recreate the hydrological conditions.

The huge advantage that tropical fishkeepers have with this sort of setup is that the heat from the pumps is a good thing. My two pumps raised the water temp by 7 degrees in WINTER. Not good for cold water fish.

I've got a FX5 on my 2m river tank with the intake at one end and a home made spraybar at the other. The spray bar points upwards. I've added 3 tunze 6025's, the first one is under the spray bar and points across the rocks. The other two are halfway down the tank, one pointing upwards and one downwards across the rocks. I've also got two internal filters near the intake which aerate the surface.

The whole setup give areas of fast current and slow patches, and most importantly a lot of surface agitation.

My other hillstream tank is 3ft with a Aquis 2200, the intake is at one end and the spray bar is at the other. The spray bar has one section agitating the surface and another spraying across the glass at the back. It also has a seio on the spraybar end which is directed at the glass at the front of the tank I've recently added a fluval 304 to the intake end to create more surface agitation.

I find that the hillstream loaches love to sit in the powerhead and spraybar flow on the rocks and on the glass. In both tanks the tiger hillstream loaches have bred.