newt help,again

reptilez

but dont they need to have some moss or something to climb on?

the petshop told me to have 1/2 water 1/2 land.

Im not sure about putting my newts in the fridge :-?

sneaky2;is aquatic better to set the newts up then terrestrial?

Thanks Matthew :D

you no listen.... did the pet shop tell you to raise them terristrial ? :-? if you are goin to, you

might as well put them in the fridge(brumation) for 4 weeks or so and then set them up aquatic!(simulated spring)

Way i understand it the fire bellied newts we have go through a terrestrial stage once morphed up until theyre of size to breed?

best to have minimal land, but still some land is almost a must i thought? even for when they go back in to the aquatic state come breeding size......

best way ive found is appx 2 inch water and a peace of driftwood in the middle of the tank (that way fruit fly are on an island/not so likely to escape). if want to go over the top put some javamoss on it.

Reptilez - you can put the fruitfly container in the tank with a small hole in the lid. Or even better just open up the container and tap out a few into the tank. Leaving some flies in the culture should help it keep producing longer/give you a second maybe even third lifecycle. Just punching a hole in lid doesnt always produce as much.

Being a bit thick, I work on the assumption that they lose their gills and become terrestrial because they want to leave the water. Since mine are not heated they have a cooling down period over winter and get breeding in the spring/summer. The climate is a bit cooler here than over the Bombays so there you may need a fridge to winter them. Here we just try to avoid them becoming fancy iceblocks.

but dont they need to have some moss or something to climb on?

the petshop told me to have 1/2 water 1/2 land.

Im not sure about putting my newts in the fridge :-?

sneaky2;is aquatic better to set the newts up then terrestrial?

Thanks Matthew :D

trust me on this,have been keeping them for over 20 years.

for recently morphed newts,

set up an aquarium 2 thirds full or more .minimum 2 foot.

heavly planted(valisnarias good) driftwood just breaking the surface.

no moss e.c.t as they will hide in it.

outside is the best,shade cloth n chicken mesh cover(you can chop off a plastic jar with screw top and mount in cover for easy feeding)

in a spot that gets a couple of hours filtered sunlight(not direct sunlight)

if inside try to place half the tank next to a north facing window,as it will get weak sunlight in winter n difuse light in summer,use a uv if inside.

then if you feed out wingless fruit flys they will hang out on the driftwood and as they spread out the newts will start swimming after them n go aquatic.

once aquatic feed frozen blood worms,

white worms in spring for breeding condition ,fruit flys e.c.t

to give you an indication about 15 or so years ago,

i purchaced a 6 year old newt that was kept terestrial from day one...it was still the size of a

baby..... i put it in with the others n within a year it was 2 thirds grown and breeding like crazy(high fertility to) once they have some size then do a 50/50 enclosure with moss in ferns e.t.

winter outside or cold side of the house inside.

as this triggers off breeding in spring...

dont be scared of cold,it snows in winter where they come from..

thats not really fully aquatic though... or is it :D did they hang out on the driftwood or in the water more?

mine hang out on the driftwood, probably because thats where i fed them. cant be bothered with daphnia and bloodworms, just add crickets once a week. very easy care, breeding size from 1 to 2years. Once breeding or back in water id chuck in bloodworms, my japs use to breed just about all year round.

i purchaced a 6 year old newt that was kept terestrial from day one...it was still the size of a

baby...

is amazing how slow the growth can be with insufficient food and or environment...much like frogs.

thats not really fully aquatic though... or is it :D did they hang out on the driftwood or in the water more?

mine hang out on the driftwood, probably because thats where i fed them. cant be bothered with daphnia and bloodworms, just add crickets once a week. very easy care, breeding size from 1 to 2years. Once breeding or back in water id chuck in bloodworms, my japs use to breed just about all year round.

is amazing how slow the growth can be with insufficient food and or environment...much like frogs.

how deeps the water? crickets you say,must be xl newts :D r u sure there not morphed axys :lol: mmmmmmm whole other topic..

i know what you mean sneaky. pet shop down this way had 2 little newts in a huge exo terra with a little water bowl last time i visited...took about ten minutes to find the newts :roll:

i remember reading an article a few years ago...mentioned raising them in 2/3inches of water, with heaps of plants = faster growth rates.....dont think it mentioned having any sort of land/driftwood. but for some reason ive always given them a little bit. i suspect theyd be ok with out it and maybe just some indian fern on the surface... Good to know they can handle deeper water to.

i do like seeing them hunt on land though. I struggled to keep enough daphnia going for newly hatched, but once morphed and on land i found them very easy to keep happy on crickets.

grindal worms were perfect food for newly hatched up until morphing to